Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this here so everyone would pick up on it. Recently Mr K (Contender) called my attention to the fact that Marlin was offering the WGRS sight for the Marlin 336. This sight, as most of you know, sits on the receiver and many of us have used them for years. Today I called Williams and discussed the Marlin 1894P. Here's what the said....the present sight set is shipped with one of their new steel Fire Sight front sights. Since there are two variations of front sights out there on Marlin 336's, ramp and barrel mounted, they ship they ship with a riser block. This is added to the front sight on plain barrel guns. They said on the other model Marlins that you might have to play around with various front sight heights. Most of you know this, but....remember when ordering a front sight to measure the total height from the bottom of the dovetail. Brownell has, in their catalog, a great chart that tells what height needed to raise or lower the front sight to get your shots on zero. Remember also..with these higher front sights, you may not be able to use your front sight hood. If you still use thr hood with the Fire Sight, it helps if you grind out a opening on top of the hood with a Dremal. This lets light in and still protects the front sight.
Best Regards, James

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Thank you James for the added info. My set is backordered. I think they are setting up the line as we speak. Not sure how long they will be backordered though.

My 444 has a front sight base mounted to the barrel. Then the front sight blade is inserted in the dovetail in the base. I know what you are talking about with the 1894 usually in the pistol calibers. The front sight blade is just inserted in a barrel dovetail cut in the barrel with no base. The riser is for this one.

I believe Williams also has a Front sight hood with the hole cut in it already but am unsure if it will fit a Marlin front sight base.

Regards

:cool:

Seems like the rear sight has quite a bit of adjustment also which is good.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Contender....The 1894P has a ramp front sight and I "think" the WGRS sight set will fit. William's calls for their 5D and FP series to be the same for the 336 as other models with like front sights.
By the way...that was interesting what Sierra said about the .284 170 gr bullet in the .280 Rem. I always liked that bullet in 7x57 Mauser with its long throat. I do believe that roundnose bullets like the Rem CL do have more uniform expansion that spitzers. For shots 200 yards and under I think maybe we should be using that type.
Another thought....people say never shoot plain base bullets in ported barrels...Sonnie sent me some plain base 240's, cast hard, and I have been running them hot through my 1894P.
They shoot good and no lead problems in the ports. I'm using a medium burn powder listed @ 1400 out of a 7 1/2" barrel. Maybe what's happening on leaded ports is muzzle presure with slow burn powder????
Best Regards, James  

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Yeah, a gent had a 44 mag Marlin up at the range the other week and it had a front site dovetailed right in to the barrel. I assumed they were all like that with the pistol calibers.

Yes the 170 gr Sierra is a nice bullet, however, I'm almost positive it has been discontinued now. Ugh!

Hornady makes a 174 gr. RN that looks good also though. May try it in the future. I think the Round Noses would be fine for woods hunting as the BC really isn't a problem out to 200 yds. in this regard. Handloader had a great article a while back on Round Noses in hunting rifles.

I fire the plain bases all the time in my (gasp) ported chopped barrel SBH. You just get the lead "spray" on the barrel near the ports. It comes right off when cleaning.

I'm playing around with some of the Surplus WC820 with the 280 WFN bullets now in the 44 mag. Will report on my experiences at a later date.

Man, I'm rambling now. Time for me to go feed your Bulldogs. :biggrin:

Regards,

:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts