Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am trying to find the best possible bullet for my 307 win for large game animals. I need something that will not quickly expand like the 3030 type bullets . Has anyone loaded 180gn round nose bullets for the 307 win. I read that the Nosler 180 gn may be a good choice, I am also looking at the Sierra 180gn Prohunter, I am concerned it may be too long for my model 94 action. The Winchesters 180 gn Power Point seem to be well suited however can not find these bullets for my reloading project.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Some of our reloading manuals suggest using 170 gr. 30-30 bullets. My 307BB only has the internal or Net Capacity of the 300 SAvage. So they all go out about the same, at the same pressures. But if you're looking to nail a big bad Moose, I would re-think that idea. The magazine follower doesn't like pointy bullets either. Mine is an angle ejector, 1894-1994 carbine. If you have the earlier top ejecting 307BB, maybe you could go in a different direction.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I would look in the Hornady manual for the bullets used in LeverEvolution loads.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I would use the 170gr Speer FN. Very aerodynamic for a FN, and very tough if needed. I've had great luck with that bullet shot at 2500fps in various 308 win guns.

An Added benefit is you get more than twice as many bullets with the speer for your money as you do with the Nosler.

·
Registered
214 Posts
As a comparison my heavy load for my 308 is a Nosler marching downrange at almost 2400 fps (Nosler Reloading Manual #2). The 307 with a 170 gr load at 2400-2450 fps will be about as good as any. imho Nosler Partition would be my first choice for thick bodied game, surviving through a bone or two and holding together. My next reference is 30-30 and 170 Gr Hornady FP. It's been great and never let me down, if you place the shot in the vitals. Velocity of the 30-30 is about 2100 fps and expansion of the Hornady has been text-book. If I was facing a bear, I'll take the Nosler.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your replies after hours and days of research I decided it will be the Nosler 170gn. Next phase hours of testing at the range. Will keep you posted with factual results .............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts