Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering to get a Winchester 70, I would like to put some questions.

I do choice between the M70 Sporter and the Featherweight, both in the new MOA version. Do this rifles have steady fore ends, which allow shooting with a military strap? A too weak fore end will tweak when you straighten the sling and thus deflect the barrel, detrementing the accuracy. I suppode that the Sporter fore end is the best one in this aspect.

Another option would be to buy the cheap Ultimate Shadov and the have a stockmaker to carve a nice stock or to get a good composite one.

All my rifles are equipped with Uncle Mike's Military Strap. It is very useful and helps improving accuracy when shooting in the field in several positions.

Thankful for your inputs and comments!

Pete

·
Super Moderator
3,847 Posts
It depends

I have several Winchester Model 70 rifles in sporter and featherweight configurations. All of them have military slings on them and I have never had a problem when shooting them. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
If your thinking about maybe putting a synthetic stock on it, why not look at the 70 Weather Extreme, it has a Bell and Carlson full length aluminum bedding block that goes a good ways out in the forend. It's a hand laid composite stock made up of graphite, epoxy gel coat, laminated resins, fiberglass, and aramid fibers.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I own a lot of M-70's. The sporter versions made in the last 20 or so odd years have free floating barrels so the sling doesn't affect the barrel by making the stock bend and touch it. The Featherweights are a different stoy IME. I have only the versions made by USRAC in push feed and CRF styles. None of mine, or any I have ever handled came with barrels that were/are free floated, so the tight sling will put pressure on the barrel and possibly alter your POI. They can also be free floated with just a small amount of your time and a little care. Personally, I think you'd be better off buying a synthetic stock to mount and zero your rifle in while wearing it, then swap back over to wood if you sell or want to just have a nice rifle to admire between hunts/outings. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your inputs - they have all been valuable. Now I just have to consider my choice a little more. A nice problem - and when spring has come, the range will open again.

Regards,

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts