Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester model 88 chambered in 358.The magazine was lost in a house fire (was able to save the rifle).I have looked everywhere for a replacement.Does anyone know if a magazine from a 243 or a 308 can be modified to work and who could do the work.Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Model 88 mags for/from either a .243 and/or a .308 will fit/function perfectly with .358's, w/o anything else other than filling them & inserting them in your rifle.

I know this, how ? - I once rebored a .243 out to .358, and used the issue .243 mags afterwards w/o any issues.

Just be sure you don't obtain Model 100 semi-auto mags by mistake - as their last-shot-hold-open provision means you won't be able to close your bolt/lever on the empty mag w/o either depressing the follower or removing the mag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly appreciate your quick reply rangr44.I wasn't aware the mags were interchangable .Thanks

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
[I wasn't aware the mags were interchangable .Thanks]

You're welcome - But they're not entirely interchangeable.

For some reason, the .284 Win mags are not supposed to interchange, so check the cartridge stamping on the sheet metal rear of any mag you get your paws on.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
The caliber is actually simply the .284 Win (not mag). The reason it wouldn't make a good choice is that the shell is not based on a .308 case, necked down, rather it is a larger capacity case (similar to a magnum) with a rebated rim. In most rifles so chambered the magazine capacity is normally 1 round less than a standard case due to the larger diameter (again, like a magnum). It's a great round, pretty much the equal of the .280 in a S/A (even has almost exactly the same case capacity; 66 vs 68.6 gr).

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
FYI: "the .284 Win mags " = The .264 Win MAGAZINES ! , not "magnum".

Thanks, anyway

1 - 7 of 7 Posts