Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for feedback as to what cast bullet(s) will feed in a Win 94 Trapper in .45 Colt.   I'm thinking around the 265 - 300 grain range.  Probably WFN - WLN configuration unless another style will work better.  Or maybe it would be easier to ask which bullets do not feed?  Thanks for your help!

(Edited by mattc at 10:18 am on Dec. 31, 2001)

·
Registered
34 Posts
matt,so far I've loaded 300xtp,300 sierra,225swc lead factory's, 265gc cast Perf, and my favorite, 335gc cast perf. They all shoot and cycle great. 300sierra next fav. I use the 225's for posting squirles.

PS. remember don't try to get fancy when empting gun after hunting just cycle normal and you want have any problems.   Fun little gun .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks norville.  I've had a .44 mag levergun in the past but I've wanted to try a .45.  Brian Pierce's article in the last Handloader put me over the edge.  Now I just have to find one at a reasonable price.  I like winchesters, but marlin wasn't even really an option in .45 Colt.  I didn't really like the Cowboy model.
Anyway, the Win supposedly isn't as finicky about what it digests so it'll all work out for the best.  I just wanted to know if there's anything I should steer clear of as far as bullet shape is concerned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Matt-I have a Trapper 45 Colt and have found that 225 Sierra and 250 XTPs work the best for me (11.5 grs. of unique and 25 grs of H-110). 300 XTP didn't seem to be as accurate. Read somewhere around here that the slow turn rate of the Winchesters don't stabilize the heavier bullets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have tried the 300 WFN in my 45 colt trapper.  It feeds okay but the throat is non existant and sets the bullet way into the lands.  I have had good luck in plinking loads with the Lee tumble lube 230 grain truncated cone.  It works well at many velocities and groups in the 1-2 inch range at 50 yds.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
mattc

The only .45 Colt rifle I have used is a Marlin Cowboy Limited, the one with a 38" twist.

The only bullets which usually give problems in lever guns are semi-wadcutters.  This is due to the sharp shoulder catching around the mouth of the chamber.  Any commercial jacketed bullet should feed well.  The exception is the Speer 300 gr.FP, and this isn't a feed issue, bu rather LOA.  This bullet has a dual crimp groove and Speer says to crimp in the upper groove for rifles as using the lowre groove makes the round too long for the ball seat (proper name for throat).  Over 23.8 gr. H-110/296 this bullet goes into 1 1/2" in my rifle.

While we are on it, I have seen many comments that the slow twist rifles won't stabilize heavy bullets.  I shoot an LBT 325 WLN in this rifle with as good accuracy as lighter bullets.  My load does drive the bullet at 1750FPS, slower may be a problem.  The Greenhill formula gives a twist rate of 38.6 as I recall for a .45 cal. bullet of this weight, so it is marginal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info!  I'm not concerned with the twist rate as this doesn't seem to be the problem that some make it out to be.  Generally, it's a problem when trying to make plinking loads with heavy bullets.  As long as you drive them fast enough, they do well.  Alk8944, your load for the LBT 325gr sounds like a winner.  I want to develop a similiar load and one for the bunch of 265 WFN's I have on hand.
I looked at some Winchester Trappers in .45 Colt today.  The best price so far is &#36339.  Is this about right, or should I look harder?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Matt

I'm buying one today for &#36307 + tax, so I think your deal sounds OK to me.  I'm gettting the trails end version, with 20" barrel.  Like you, I got all jacked up over Pearce's article and had to have a lever gun in .45, to match my Rugers.  Sounds like it should be fun.  I'm wondering if Gas check bullets are required, or if plain base laser cast or similar would be OK.

Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom,

Well, at least I know I'm not the only one!  I looked at that Trails End model on Winchesters website and dang if that doesn't look nice.  I will have to see if I can find one around here so I can see it in person.

As far as gas checks go,  the rule I use is for 1300 fps and under plain base is ok.  Over this number and I use gas checks.  It may work for you to use plain base bullets at upwards of 1800 fps, but gas checked bullets usually give me better accuracy and reduce leading ALOT.
When you start shooting that Trails End, post a range report.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I just came back from the gun store where I now have a Win 94 .45 Colt Trapper model on hold.  It was marked down to &#36299.  That was the lowest price I've seen so I'm happy.  They had a Trails End model, but they wanted &#3680 more for it.  It was nice though.

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Way to go.  I pick mine up tomorrow. What I would really like would be the pistol grip of the Legacy version combined with the 20" barrel and a 1/2 or 3/4 length magazine.  I think it would be an awesome looking rifle.

Anyway, Rock on, and shore the good loads.

Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tom,

They have that one, it's called the Packer rifle.  The shop I went to had one in .44 mag and .30-30.  It has an 18 inch barrel, a half (or 3/4?) magazine and pistol grip.   The stock seemed slightly chunkier than the Legacy and it didn't have the checkering.

Pretty cool though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Big 5 puts the trapper on add for &#36275.  In .45 colt, and .44 mag. That is how I got my little lead tosser.   It is real fun. I think I will go shoot it tomorrow...  

Scout...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scout,

Thanks for the reference, I think I got a good deal for this area at &#36299.  The same shop had Trappers in .30-30 for &#36229.  I don't know why there's such a difference, I suppose they've paid for the .30-30 reciever tooling many times over.  I briefly owned one of these, and decided the barrel length and cartridge didn't mix.  I would like a Legacy model with the 24" barrel though.

I think I'm going to pick up my Trapper this weekend.  I've loaded up about 200 rounds and maybe I can get to the range too.  

(Edited by mattc at 8:15 am on Jan. 9, 2002)

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
    Just picked up a trapper in .45colt.(&#36349.00)  Didn't have anything speciel loaded for it so I used my handloads for my EMF Hartford.45.  I'm using a 230gr. lead rnlp in front of 5.6gr. of Hod. TITEGROUP.
  This powder does'nt seem to be as potition sensitive,  remember, that's a big old casing designed originally for that dirty ol' black powder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts