Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a like new win 94 in 30-30 I inherited from my grandfather, and I am experiencing an issue where the magazine will not release a cartridge onto the elevator when I fully close the action, thus when I cycle the action there is no new round for me, they are just sitting pretty in the mag tube. If I cycle it with excessive force it will sometimes release one, and if not I can smack it on the side of the receiver or the hammer drop on the empty chamber can make it come out. Firing recoil always seems to jostle a new round out, but I would like the be able to cycle new rounds out of the magazine without having to fire it or smack it like I'm making love to it.

The issue seems to be the link is not allowing enough space when the action is fully closed to allow a new cartridge to easily escape the magazine tube and onto the lifter. Do I need to just grind a little material off the top of the link portion that holds back cartridges when the action is open?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I would make sure that the Magazine Spring and Follower are clean and that neither are hanging up.

Good luck and all the best.

Reactions: joe45c and Tnhunter

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
Why is the shell stop shiny? It looks to have been badly 'buffed' or rounded and has lost its sharp corner. That would be my first suspect but M94 feeding problems are felt and seen up close and in person, usually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you see the cartridge sitting right at the end of the mag or is it back up in the tube where its hard to see?
It is always right at the end of the magazine, held in place by the shell stop. It never rattles ok the tube either, leading me to suspect the follower and spring are functioning properly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why is the shell stop shiny? It looks to have been badly 'buffed' or rounded and has lost its sharp corner. That would be my first suspect but M94 feeding problems are felt and seen up close and in person, usually.
I haven't touched the shell stop myself, doubt my grandfather did. But even if it had been reprofiled, that should lead to the opposite problem of shells slipping by when the action is open, not the other way around, at least the way I can see it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
This is one of the more common problems encountered with a Winchester 94. So I’ll tell you how it happened so you don’t do it again in the future, and then I’ll tell you how to correct it.

What happened
Someone short cycled the action, and then pressed the lever hard back toward the home position. So follow me here. That little tab on the end of the link is what holds the cartridges back. When you short stroke the action, that tab doesn’t make it quite all the way down, so it goes down enough for the cartridge to slip back about 1/8” and now the rim is sitting right on that little tab. Then when you try to close the action, you’ll feel a good deal of resistance in closing…so many try to force it closed. When you try to force it closed, the rim of the cartridge will deform the end of that tab (which is evident in your photos).

So two ways to fix this

Hitting the easy button
Buy a new link, drop it into the gun

How you fix it on a collectors gun
A gunsmith who has done this once or twice would peen and forge the tab back into shape and stretch it just a tad to get the overall length & height right. Then clean up with a file to get everything back to where it should be, and then add a touch of cold bluing to cover the repair.

Okay so that’s how you got there and how to fix it. When cycling the 94 action you can’t be gentle with it, it was never made for that. Open it like you’re a little angry at it and make sure you “feel” the shell riser lift into place before you start forward with the bolt. Never try to easy cycle a ’94.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is one of the more common problems encountered with a Winchester 94. So I’ll tell you how it happened so you don’t do it again in the future, and then I’ll tell you how to correct it.

What happened
Someone short cycled the action, and then pressed the lever hard back toward the home position. So follow me here. That little tab on the end of the link is what holds the cartridges back. When you short stroke the action, that tab doesn’t make it quite all the way down, so it goes down enough for the cartridge to slip back about 1/8” and now the rim is sitting right on that little tab. Then when you try to close the action, you’ll feel a good deal of resistance in closing…so many try to force it closed. When you try to force it closed, the rim of the cartridge will deform the end of that tab (which is evident in your photos).

So two ways to fix this

Hitting the easy button
Buy a new link, drop it into the gun

How you fix it on a collectors gun
A gunsmith who has done this once or twice would peen and forge the tab back into shape and stretch it just a tad to get the overall length & height right. Then clean up with a file to get everything back to where it should be, and then add a touch of cold bluing to cover the repair.

Okay so that’s how you got there and how to fix it. When cycling the 94 action you can’t be gentle with it, it was never made for that. Open it like you’re a little angry at it and make sure you “feel” the shell riser lift into place before you start forward with the bolt. Never try to easy cycle a ’94.
That makes perfect sense, thanks for the insight! I would prefer to get a new piece to drop in, any recommendations on who may have factory pieces in stock?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I work almost exclusively on pre-64's, but I'm pretty sure the link never changed.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Your link appears to be from a post 64 rifle. It will vary by serial number range (above/below 5,550, 001), so you'll have to start there. Top vs. angle eject may also matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts