Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Win. 94 timber Carbine in .444 marlin. I received it new via a trade from a fellow board member. He purchased it from Davidson's, and it sat for a year in his closet unfired:( :D
I put three [3] rounds in the magazine, and fired it to get it on paper. No problem. When I tried to reload the rifle, the loading gate would not go far enough into the receiver to allow me to reload.:mad:
Making sure the gun was clear, I opened the bolt and looked in to see that the carrier was at the top. Slowly closing the bolt, I watched the carrier and observed that it was not returning to the bottom position. The carrier was blocking the loading gate from accepting another round.
The only way that the carrier will return to the bottom position is to push it down with your finger with the bolt open. Realizing that this was not correct, that ended the range session. I have completely disassembled the receiver, cleaned and lubed, hoping that it was a gum problem from sitting in a hot Texas closet. The rifle will allow me to load the initial time, but not reload, even after cleaning.
I disassembled it again, and gave it the once over, but cannot determine the cause of the malfunction. I believe that the carrier may be mis-sized and not riding hard enough on the carrier spring to "snap" it back to the bottom position upon closing the bolt.

Help! Hunting season is upon us!!:confused:

Thanks for any ideas,
Chris~

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

Well, after a day of hemming it over I called Winchester...20 minutes of hold, the 10 minute explanation of the problem and the answer..."we can't help you. It sounds like you have a problem, so send it to New Haven.

No phone # is available for the New Haven facility, but I boxed it and shipped it with a letter explaining the problem. They received it Monday morn, I'm waiting for a reply. I'll keep you informed.
Chris~:(

·
Banned
738 Posts
m141a,
I am looking forward to hear what the problem is with your 94.
My guess is an improperly fitted or defective carrier spring.

Years ago I had the same problem you have with a pre-64, then later a post-64 Mdl 94. Both times it turned out that I had removed the carrier spring, and it didn't go back in exactly the way it was. A new spring fixed both. It seems these springs take a set.
So now when I take them apart for cleaning, unless the carrier spring is broke, I don't touch them. I haven't had a problem since.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got the rifle back from Winchester today!!! Wow!, 13 days from door to door and it's fixed.
They replaced the carrier, carrier spring and screw. All no charge!!!!:D

The rifle functions like new, and i guess I'm off to the range! Looks like with any luck my .444 will be aimed at a Vermont black bear soon!!!:eek:

Cudos to Winchester for a job well done!;)

Chris~

·
Banned
738 Posts
WOW!!!
That is great timing.
When I sent mine back some years ago it took over 4 months.

Maybe they finally got their act together.

Hope it shoots great,and hope you get your black bear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts