Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of a short barrel in 45LC to go along with my Ruger single action. Have a chance at almost new Win Trapper. Your thoughts on this rifle and suggested loads. At the other end also thinking of a Marlin with the 24 inch barrel. Same question. Will use both for deer and plinking.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
SCSOUTH
Don't own a Trapper, but I do own a Trails end Win 94 in 45 LC. If that trapper shoots good get it you will not be disappionted. Mine will handle the Ruger loads shone in the Speer #13 Manual. Use the starting loads and work up. My pet loads are:
230 Gr LTC 9.3 Gr Bullseye 1.6 OAL 1300's
255 gr SWC 9 gr Bullseye/W231 1.6 OAL 1285FPS
300 gr WFN 21.5 H110/W296 1.6 OAL 1545 FPS
These are my loads in my gun - If you use them -drop a gr to start with. Good shooting.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the information... I think I will try it out. Will be using factory ammo for the try out. What would you cinsider a respectible group. Open sights at say 50 yards.

Also any thoughts on the Marlin?

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
SC:

I've got the Trapper in 45colt. Very accurate out to about 50 yards (2") and at 100 it's (4").

As far as loads go, whatever the Ruger Blackhawk will shoot, the Trapper will eat it! I've even shot CorBon and Buffalo Bore with good results. I'd say buy it, shoot it, enjoy it, but DON'T expect a good trigger; Takes some getting used to.

chris~

·
Banned
738 Posts
SCSOUTH,
I have a 94AE Trapper in 45 Colt. It has digested over 3000 rounds to date. Some stout, most just regular loads. It has been fittet with a reciever sight, and if I hold my self steady it will do 2" to 3" inches at 100 yards.
The older Trappers like mine have a thin lightweight barrel so the ballance isn't right. But the newer ones have a heavier barrel. It should be better.

As for the lousy trigger, you can do three things. Live with it. Have a trigger job done with it. Replace the rebounding hammer action with an older standard one. (Thats what I did.)

I had a Marlin 1894 Cowboy. Beautiful rifle. Well ballanced, functioned nicely, but was inaccurate as can be. Past 50 yards it wouldn't group with anything I tried in it. Hopefully I got a lemon. Financial reasons made me sell it before I really could find out it's problem.

There is a third choice in leveraction rifles. The Navy Arms, Legacy, Rossi, mdl 92 clone. They are well ballanced, and don't have much add on b.s. safety stuff to mess up the triggers.
I have one and like it. It's on it's way to a smith for an action job and some customizing. Should be just the ticket when it's finished.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that good news about the Trapper.... I have not yet tried it out. It maybe sold before I can make uo my mind,,, but there are more of them. I really like the looks of the Marlin soory to hear about the performance of the one you had.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have both the Win. Legacy and the Marlin CB in 45 Colt. I have used the both for target and hunting with great results from both. But if you buy a Win. do not expect the slick action of the Marlin's. Course you aren't dropping as much cash for the Win. either. and both in my opinion out distance the Pumas.
Try these loads: 23 gr H110/300 gr Hornady XP Mag/ Starline brass..that my friend is a true thumper and will function in your Blk Hwk as well as not sticking the action in the Win.
wanted to say that I don't know where the poster that says "anything a Blk Hwk can handle a Win will eat up" got that statement from. Truely I've never found a lever action of any sort that would not get sticky with the hot pistol loads.I know for a fact I can hotrod my 45Colt Blk Hwk a lot more than I caneither the Win or Marlin. LF

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyones response has been helpful. The Marlin around here in the shops is about $540, have not priced the Win. The new ( but used) Trapper is advertised by the owner for $325. Have not looked at it yet. Thanks for the load data. I will try it in the BH along with some of the others.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
leadflinger
I to have found that the top end loads are not always the best .-accurate in my Trails End. Like always you got to tailer the load to your gun and each one is different! The one thing I did find out quick is unless you like pain- get a butt pad installed if you shoot the heavy loads!! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gunnut don't take what I say as the definitive anwser of handloading. But 23 gr of H110 and a 300 gr slug out of either my Win. Legacy or my Rossi or my Marlin is not the top end. I've had superb accuracy in all three makes and that entails a total of 7 different rifles.
With that load I can and do shoot <1" @ 100 yds with reciever sights installed. And @50 it's a ragged hole.This year 2002 I killed various game animals at distances up to 160 long paces. Including 6 hogs,11 deer,a 1600# steer( that's a different story)and a turkey,also a truck full of chucks,crows.
I have loaded and used up to 26 gr H110 in my Blk Hwk,though I do admit it belches a great flame! LF

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
leadflinger
Didn't, just said I noticed that my Win 94 accuracy seemed to drop off at a certain piont with the heavy loads.-I've noticed it also in my 454 SRH as well , every gun-load has a sweet spot that works with the nest results and just burning more powder just messes it up. My heavy loads for the Win 94 may not give the most power- anything over 1500 FtLbs energy at muzzle is more than adequate for most of my hunting. I have two criteria for my Win 94 reloads - 2" or better at 100 yds, 1500 min ME ( Big game loads).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bet you still have all ten fingers too! Mi typ!n wood be beter ifin I had me ten of dem two!!!!!!! LOL, LF;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
My trapper .45 Colt is the most "fun gun" I have had in years.
Most of my shooting has been done with 250gr bullets but I have a load with 300 gr Hornady XTP Mag and 18 gr of 2400.
I get good accuracy and no pressure signs yet. I do not have a chrony, anybody know what kind of velocity I might be getting from that little 16" barrel?

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply. If I don't get this Trapper , then after the first of the year I guess I will visit one of the shops. Just hate to spend the money for a new one if I can pick up a good used one. If I go new then still not sure what I will go after. I also would like the chrony, does anyone have any recommendations on a chrony?

Thanks to everyone for their input, this is my first time on a forum... and this one seems to be good.

Everyone have a safe hoilday.

·
Banned
738 Posts
SCSOUTH,

If you don't buy the used Trapper, wait till next year. Winchester is supposed to be bringing out the 94 without the horrible crossbolt safety. I have heard here and on other foru;ms that they will be using the tang safty like they use on the 92's and 86's.
I haven't seen any catalogs yet, and there is nothing on the web site, but if this is true, it will be a major improvement.
Both in appearance and function.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, J. Miller....that is good info. I will try to hold off and do a little more research if I go the new route.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts