Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering to get a Win 9422, I would like to hear what patterns you get with good ammo. What can seriously be expected - is an inch or less realistic at 50 yards?

Pete

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
inch or less @ 50 yards, you betcha!;)

I own a 9422XTR, which is basically a 9422 with fancy wood.
Using bulk remington, federal or winchester ammo it will shoot about 1/4 to 1/2 inch at 50 yards, using a cheap 4x scope. Bet it would really do better with match ammo.
I rarely clean it, and it just shoots and shoots!
With the factory sights [open], i can easily hit an orange repeatedly @ 100 yards.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yep, I don't recall ever shooting mine for groups but I can pop the head off of a grouse any time I chose the 22 over the shot gun, my friends always shake their heads when I plink a shotgun shell all the way across the quarry with ever round in the tube!

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have a 9422 and a 9422M, both made in 1972, the first year they were made. Not sure about the mag, but the 9422 will easily shoot the kind of groups you're looking for with CCI std vel, and CCI mini-mags. Federal bulk does almost as well. They are the king of 22 levers IMO.
Buy one, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your inputs!

Are there any differences between production years? I suppose that real Winchesters are preferable in comparison with USRAC? Anything else to consider?

Pete

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I suppose that real Winchesters are preferable in comparison with USRAC?
Probably only from a collectors stand point????, the later ones are as good as the early ones, the design never changed, supposedly the only ones that aren't that desirable are the last year of production as fit and finish went down as the workers didn't seem to care as they knew they would soon be out of work??

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got the mag and lr. and I agree with everyone else. They just shoot great:). I almost can't miss with the mag.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hammerman,I have the mag that I got back in 1975,it still shoots like it did then.You can't miss as these rifles have some kind of target seeker built in them,you just can't miss........hehehe.......Really they are fantastic shooters. When I bought it at 16 in 75 I used to go to the dump and throw up miller pony bottles and hit them............

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wait a minute I was 16 in 74...Darn CRS (Can't Remember S--T)syndrome it's hard to remember......

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait a minute I was 16 in 74...Darn CRS (Can't Remember S--T)syndrome it's hard to remember......
That's a really fine vintage - 1958 is probably the best one in the entire 20th century. And I think, that I should surely know, as I am self born then. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your inputs. My old rimfire is sent to the junk monger, as it doesn't even hit a barn from the inside. The barrel was too corroded next to the chamber to be possible to save. It was a british BSA Sportman's Five, a cheap gun, but nice to handle. It shot pretty well for year, before I stupidly cleaned the bore and got rid of all leading.

What I have read and heard about the 9422 here and in other places, is all good and encouraging. Thanks!

F.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I had one of the very first 9422's on the west coast....it came with a gunrack with Winchester carved into it, all in the box. It is probably the only 22 I've ever had that would shoot the Stingers fairly accurately, usually a quarter @ 50 yds, with open sights, so I shot them exclusively. I used to amaze my buddies with that thing, it was the most accurate 22 I ever saw until I got this 741T Remington.... very fine rifle, those 9422's...great quality, great shooters, and great handling. Darn hard to beat ..... the best thing is that you can still find them "New in the Box" if you look around.....

crud !! all this reminiscing, now I want another one ! LOLOL

·
Registered
91 Posts
Was that gunrack the one that is for a single rifle? There are also gunracks which were for two rifles. I've got one of each, but have forgotten the history behind them.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
it was a double iffin' I member correctly..... but that was many moons ago......

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Thanks for your inputs!

Are there any differences between production years? I suppose that real Winchesters are preferable in comparison with USRAC? Anything else to consider?

Pete

Cannot answer that one, but can offer that my rifle is an early '80's. Fit and finish are really nice, and as far as I am concerned, it's built very well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd have to say my 9422 was made in the 70's, the accuracy with a good peep installed is outstanding, shooting 20 shot groups under a inch at 25 yds. and perhaps spreading them a bit more @ 50 yds....mines a shooter! if I do my part the rifle will zing empty 12 gauge shotshells all day long...out to 30-40 yds.

Good luck

C45

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got my mind set on a 9422M w/o that cross bolt safety through the receiver. What's a good reference source on the 9422's. Not looking for a collector grade, just a good shooter. Do they have steel receivers?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
They all used steel receivers. The 9422 was an effort to undo some of the damage Winchester's reputation took with the post 63 Winchesters. When the 9422 was released in 1972 it was a high quality rifle with a very nicely polished and blued milled steel receiver and nicely finished and fitted walnut stock and forearm.

They came out with an XTR version in 1978 and produced them until 1989. The early 1978 production XTRs did not have checkered stocks and after 1980 all the 9422s had checkered stocks so that alone won't tell you anything, nor will a highly polished receiver as they were all highly polished. The difference with the XTR is the highly polished flats on the lever, hammer, etc, and the slightly better polish on the barrel as well as the "XTR" stamp on the barrel.

Below are a pair of 9422s - the top one is a 1978 un-checkered XTR and below it is a 2000 9422 Trapper carbine. You'll note the better polish on the flats of the hammer and lever, although it's not as obvious in the picture as it is looking at them. (The saddle rings are an aftermarket part.)

1978 also saw a switch from a steel internal magazine tube to a brass tube with the change occurring about mid year. The only major design change during 9422 production was the adoption of a common receiver for the 9422 and 9422M. The older .22 LR receivers have an ejection port that is about 1/16" shorter and the barrel is stamped "S,L,LR", while the later common receiver .22 LR 9422s are just stamped L, LR. With the differences in the carrier they will no longer feed .22 shorts reliably.

If you look below you'll see the early short ejection port above and the later long ejection ported common receiver below. As you can see, a bit more of the bolt is visible in the longer port:

in 2003 USRAC introduced the 9417 in .17 HMR

Olin sold the New Haven plant to the employees who created US Repeating Arms in 1981, but the change in ownership had zero impact on the 9422, and there is no real difference in pre and post 9422 pricing.

In terms of value the XTRs will bring a premium as will the 16 1/4" barrel 9422 Trapper carbines introduced in 1996 and the 9417s as they were only produced for a couple years.

USRAC also made an engraved "high grade" model beginning in 1995 as well as a Legacy model in 1998 with a 22 1/2" barrel with a curved pistol grip mimicking the old Model 64 carbine and a short lived brass plated "yellow boy" model. They will all bring a premium based on relative rarity.

USRAC also made a few commemoratives (Annie Oakley, Eagle Scout, and BSA) as well as some final tribute models before they discontinued the Model 9422 in 2005. They are like a lot of Winchester commemoratives where they made way too many to be truly collectible so they can often be found at prices that are no higher or even below a similar regular 9422, especially if they have been fired.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks, Model 52. I need to look no farther for a good reference source. Your information puts me on the right track. I always consider price of a quality gun as subjective. You have two fine rifles.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I've got my mind set on a 9422M w/o that cross bolt safety through the receiver.

Do they have steel receivers?

:confused::confused::confused:

You'll have every 9422 ever made to pick from, to find one that doesn't have a CBS. :rolleyes:

I've never seen or heard of a 9422 with any safety other than the half-cock hammer notch, much less a CBS (cross bolt safety).

Now, Marlin 39a's, OTOH.....................................................

FWIW, All 9422's had forged/machined steel receivers. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I thought the later 9422's had the CBS. Maybe I'm thinking of the 9410. I would like to have a 9410, also. It's looks like it would be a fun shooter. I'm getting off topic, though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts