Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I received some great advice on calibre and rifle type. (Thanks to all.)

So I have settled on a bolt action in 30-06. My question now is, do you have any recommendations on these rifles? I am leaning towards a Winchester Model 70 Classis Featherweight, but I would like to hear what y'all think about the different makes.

Thanks.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I must admit, that I also prefer to buy American, as long as what I want is offered. (For example, I recently bought a Browning Gold Shotgun in MOSG, because the Remington 11-87 is not available in a 3" gun with camo. They only offer a 3.5" model, which I did not want.)

Perhaps the Classic Sporter LT would be a better choice, as it weighs 1/2 pound more than the Featherweight?

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the advice. My primary quarry will be deer, however, I also want to use the same rifle for the odd black bear and moose (mostly calves.) To save money, I'm trying to do all this with just one gun, so I am trying to select a calibre that will "do it all," so to speak. The 30-06 seems to fit this bill nicely, but I'm still open to suggestions, as I will be making my purchase in October.

I'm curious as to why a lighter gun has less recoil, assuming you are using the same ammo? You would think the heavier model 70 would be better, all things being equal, no? Perhaps it's the BOSS?

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Once again, thanks for all your input. It is much appreciated. The terrain up here is very "hilly," dense hardwood/white pine forest with many small lakes and rivers. Thus, most of the shooting is less than 200 yards, so the long range flat calibre's are not essential to success.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.