Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the opportunity to acquire a "well used" Mod 92 in 32-20 chambering. By pic's, the entire finish is now a nicely browned patina and the stocks, although old and a bit dimpled, still intact with no cracks. No idea on bore condition, but assured it still has one!

Was quoted $250 for it, dies and some cases.

What's the general consensus?

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
You weren't being serious when you asked if you should buy that gun, were you? I mean, have you looked at what they're going for, even in terrible condition? If it's all original finish on both the metal and wood, it's probably worth 3-4 TIMES that much! Buy it for $250 and if it's what you described, sell it to one of the forum members for double the money...you'll make a friend for life! ;)

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Buy it. I have two that belonged to my grandfather and great grandfather. These are nice shooters. If you don't want it I will send you 250 to buy it for me.

·
23,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah - thought it was a smoking deal when I saw it. Will be meeting the seller in the next few days and hope to walk in the door with yet another addition to the vault.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Pictures, man....post pictures! :)

·
23,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not yet - have a meeting scheduled for Wednesday morning out at the gunrange.

·
23,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the rifle today. Turns out to be a Mod 94 that was made in mid-1897 (by serial #) and is chambered in 32-40, not 32-20. Good mechanical condition, but as stated previously, not a bit of bluing left anywhere. Buttstock has a thru-bolt at the tang on the pistol grip that has been epoxyed over - must have had a problem sometime in the recent past to be using expoxy. Bore is very pitted, as expected.

Went ahead and bought it anyway just to have around. Will shoot downloaded cast bullets to fill the pits and plink around with before peddling off. Pic's as soon as I can arrange it.

Did I get a good deal - huh? Huh? - Did I?????!!!!! :p

·
Banned
61 Posts
I had the 38-40 out this morning becuase there was a rabbit hopping around. I shot 3 times and it was ducking. Are carrots that good for the eyes. ;)

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Yep, you got a good deal with a capital D. May not be a 92 but well worth the $250. You should do well on any future trades with that Winchester.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Well, that turned out to be a very different gun than you thought you were getting, but it never ceases to amaze me up how some sellers really have no clue what gun it is they are trying to get rid of. Still a really neat find and a great price on something that old. You'll have to let us know how she fires and what you eventually trade it off for. :)

·
23,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A couple other facts - 20" bbl, full tube and saddle ring carbine. Slugged the bore (man, is it rough) and came out at .3195" - .3120". Action is nice and tight.

Ordered a set of Cowboy Action dies from Huntington Die Specialties and some cast bullets sized .323" and 170 gr made especially for the 32-40. Can't find brass anywhere, so will have to form some from 30-30 brass (have 100 new cases on hand). Found some loads in the Cartridges of the World book, so I'm all set as soon as materials arrive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts