Shooters Forum banner
3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  James Gates 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Win. Model 70 Safari Express in 416 Rem.  I've been loading speer 350 grain bullets with a reduced load of AA5744 in Bell Brass to break it in a bit and get a feel for it, An NEI mold is on order for it.  The gun will feed an empty case from the magazine if you just put in 1.  When I load the the magazine with 2 or 3 rounds I run into a problem though.  The bolt stops either 1/3 or 2/3 of the way forward and will only go home if you back it off a touch and then push.  Extraction and ejection are perfect.  I notice there are two scallopped sections on the follower which looks to be aluminum that coincide with where the bolt stops and that they have raised a burr at there forward edge, I think that the Edge of the belt is catching and hanging up on this edge. This is totaly unacceptable on a dangerous game rifle!  Has anyone else run into this and how did you remedy the situatiuon?  I've been thinking a polished steel follower would do the trick.     KevinNY

#2 ·
Kevin,

I can't imagine that the problem stems from the cartridge follower.   If the cartridge against the follower (when you only load one round) feeds, then I would bet that the problem lies in the feed lips not being the correct configuration for your big .416.

I couldn't say for sure without seeing it... you know, kind of like giving a haircut over the phone!   Just my two cent worth!

Let us know what you find!

God Bless,

Marshall

#3 ·
Marshall,
   When the jam happens in the 2/3 forwards situation the cartridge has been released from the feed lips and in in the grasp of the claw extractor in a straight line to the chamber.  I'll let you know when I get this figured out.    
   KevinNY

#4 ·
Kevin...This can happen to any rifle that has a Mauser claw type extractor if they distence from the bolt fscr to the claw is too tight. In most cases. taking a little metal off the inside of the claw lets the rim snap up under it. When it's too tight, the rim at an angle can come up under the claw. I, like Marshall, would have thought it was the side rails until you said the cartridge was out of the rails. Has the belt cleared the side wall when it jams? Take a look.
Best Regards, James

#5 ·
The belt has cleared the sidewall when it hangs up.  I am looing to find a box of factory loads to see if it happens with them too.  I am using Bell brass which is virgin.  The fired cases have a sharper shoulder and are about .10 shorter and measure up within SAAMI trim length.  I will try to reload a few rounds of the once fired brass and see if that helps with the different profile.  I still like the idea of a steel follower though, any ideas of where I can get one?   KevinNY

#6 ·
I'd give US Repeating Arms in New Haven a call. Most of the people I knew are gone now. There were some steel followers up the last I talked to them. I don't think it is the follower, but I'm like you I like th steel one.
Best Regards, James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.