Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My .44 Rifle is shooting "shotgun patterns" at fifty yards.

It's shooting low and right about a foot! The group itself is about a foot wide.

This is from a bench. I've loaded some 265 gr loads that are better - still - This darn thing will place one in the sweet spot and the others down the block! If we take it out one hundred yards: It will not group at all.

What in thee world? We had the rifle checked out - Every thing is a-ok..

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
First off, remove the forearm, the mag tube and any barrel bands. Then shoot it single shot with the rifle resting on the action (not the barrel) this should tell you if it's a binding problem, or a barrel problem. Also check for any muzzle dings, as it could also be caused from a bad crown. If it shoots well with the forearm and mag tube removed, start checking for areas that are binding against each other, and releive the binding. Sometimes it is nothing more than the rear barrel band screw being either too tight or too loose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, remove the forearm, the mag tube and any barrel bands. Then shoot it single shot with the rifle resting on the action (not the barrel) this should tell you if it's a binding problem, or a barrel problem. Also check for any muzzle dings, as it could also be caused from a bad crown. If it shoots well with the forearm and mag tube removed, start checking for areas that are binding against each other, and releive the binding. Sometimes it is nothing more than the rear barrel band screw being either too tight or too loose.
Thanks!

This darn thing! I'm about to trade for another Blackhawk.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Slug the bore and measure your bullets . Some Winnie's and Marlin's too!! have 001 to 002 oversized bores - so then lead is the place to go.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Well if the bore and rifling are good as well as the crown , try some cast bullets .
I had bought one used rifle and it had been cleaned with a rod at the muzzle and had some wear from contact in that area. I had two inches removed from the barrel .
The trapper I had was overbored though Winchester said it was "within Spec's" and needed 432 Cast bullets to group . Likewise my Guide 45/70 was really a 46/ 70 as it needed 460 Dia bullets to group.
I thought we passed the days of old- where you got a bullet mould with the gun to drop the correct bore size for the gun . Guess we no longer get the mould. !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts