Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to compare these but can't locate either nearby. Can anyone offer a comment or review (pros/cons) of either rifle based on their quality or experiences shooting them? Looking at the 7-08 for PA deer. Much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Both are nice rifles, capable of fine accuracy. The choice is really personal preference.

There are some basic, fundamental design differences that are noteworthy. I greatly prefer the Winchester in all aspects, due to the controlled-round-feed, claw-type extractor, the recoil lug being integral with the receiver, and the three position safety that actually locks the firing pin.

The Remington has a spring-clip type extractor, push-feed action, two-position safety that only blocks the sear/trigger, and the recoil lug is a modified washer that's sandwiched between the barrel shank and the receiver.

However, both are time tested actions, your cartridge choice is a fine, low recoiling effective deer/blackbear hunting cartridge.

Personal choice is the bottom line. Make sure of the action's features and attributes when making that choice, then go hunting and enjoy.

God Bless,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marshall, hopefully I'll get a chance to get my hands on either or both of these and check out their actions. The Win does appear aesthetically eye pleasing on their website, but I know how it goes judging books by their cover. Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Copperliner - The detachable magazine feature on the Remington is a great option, I wish my older 700 classic had it. You can load/unload the rifle faster and easier and you don't have to pick up the cartridges that slipped through your hands when you open the floor plate :D They are both good rifles but you should handle them both and then make your choice. Good Luck!! CEJ...

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,433 Posts
I like the Winchester for the adjustable trigger pull, and also the no-tools disassembly of the bolt.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,021 Posts
While you're at it, might as well check out the Browning A-Bolt. Detachable mag, shorter bolt lift and noted for being fine shooters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback! I'm taking my wife on a "shopping" excursion next weekend in PA that just happens to have a couple of Gander Mountain stores along the route. (Called both today and luckily one has the Win, the other has the Rem Mt. rifle.) I will try to check out the Browning too, thanks for the recommendation!

·
Banned
367 Posts
I own the Winchester Compact Classic in .308 and find it to be a really sweet shooter. I chose the Winnie because I too wanted the controled round feed. I must say that I had a smith adjust the weight of the trigger when new, but the pull was nice and smooth out of the box and is more accurate that I can shoot! consider too, the Ruger if you like the controled round feed action. They have a new light / compact rifle very similar to the Winnie. Love Rugers, but when it comes to centerfire rifles, make mine Winchester. Let us know what, and how you decided upon your choice! Best of luck. th fish

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'll cast my vote for the M70, but it really boils down to which one fits you and your hunting conditions best.

·
Banned
57 Posts
My main rifle is an older remington mountain rifle in 30-06.
It doesn't have the detachable magazine; that feature was not offered when I purchased it new, back in the late 80s.
Here are my experiences and observations on my rifle.
The weight makes it a pleasure to carry, but makes it a little more difficult to shoot in field positions. I think that is due to the fine barrel taper and short barrel length. The barrel taper also makes for a hot barrel very quickly. If you enjoy shooting a lot, make sure you have plenty of time to allow the barrel to cool between strings. My rifle is very accurate in shooting groups. I can shoot around an inch plus or minus(at 100 yards) with a variety of handloads, for 3 shots.
The lightest bullets I have shot are 150 grain, the heaviest are 200. If I had it to do over, I would have purchased a bdl with standard barrel taper and 24" barrel. I also hunt in PA, and the mountains in Lycoming county are not so steep that I could not carry an extra pound. The dm is also something that I am probably too forgetful to take advantage of. I once walked into the woods with my bow and no arrows, but that is another story! By the way, my brother recently purchased a model 70 in 338, and it is a very nicely made firearm. Due to the weight differences in our rifles, the kick on my 06 is pretty similar to his 338. I am sure your 7-08 will not be as hard a recoiler, but that is just another piece of the puzzle. Happy rifle hunting!
Mike

·
Banned
396 Posts
Get The Winchester!!

You're gonna' have a tough time finding the Winchester Featherweight. They're in short supply according to a glowing report I read recently. I just wish I could find the link back to the article.... ~ OK, I think it's this article in Real Guns Archives:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/013.htm

and...

http://www.realguns.com/archives/014.htm

This two part article is excellent and gives you lotsa' good reasons to go with the Winchester! ;)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/win70.htm

http://www.gunrush.com/firearm/gun/Winchester-Guns-535004255-Rifles.htm

http://www.usracmfg.com/M70_Classic_Featherweight_Drawing.htm

Copperliner said:
I'm looking to compare these but can't locate either nearby. Can anyone offer a comment or review (pros/cons) of either rifle based on their quality or experiences shooting them? Looking at the 7-08 for PA deer. Much appreciated!

·
Banned
41 Posts
Choices

Hey Copper,
Love this caliber, just purchased one in a custom and it is a tack driver.
If you are looking for something light , you might take a look at the Rem. model 7. This is a nice little gun and priced right.

Good Luck,
JB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your comments! I still haven't had the chance to get out and look around yet, (honey-do projects) but hopefully will this weekend.
Gowge - I have read Chuckhawks.com reviews of each rifle and he seems to give positive reviews of each. Have also read the three part report on realguns.com which were helpful. I guess the best bet is to get my hands on each one and get to the bench soon! Thanks to all again, Mike "Copperliner"

·
Banned
31 Posts
I have several of both M70's and M700's. All my competition rifles except 1 are built on 700's and the majority of my hunting guns are M70's. With most of both having been customized or built from the ground up with those actions. I have taken game with both models though. I really like the Ruger 77 but there are some accuracy issues with that rifle. The barrel to receiver isnt threaded like conventional actions but uses a screwed in wedge affair. Some of them shoot great but some are real dogs. But they make a great looking rifle. You wont go wrong with either choice you make. It is simply a matter of what you are comfortable with the rifle. I would look real serious at the 308 over the 7/08 though. But that is my personal preference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Copperliner, I have used Rem700's, Winchesters, Rugers and Savages over the past few years (Ford, Chevy, Dodge). The nuts and bolts of it all is what feels good to you. . Ask yourself what you want it for and grab as many choices as you can then find them and handle them. At one point early in my shooting career I fell in love with a rifle in a magazine, it had everything I thought I wanted. Ordered it, got it in and before I got out the door of the shop I was disapointed because it didn't "feel" good. Great rifle, shot well, but I kept leaving it home because I didn't like the way it felt. If you find one that fit's in the cal you like Grab it!
Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts