Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among my old Winchesters, I have a 1890 dated 1886 in 40-82 WCF. Great gun to shoot and in really good shape but .........

Does anyone know where I might find old takeoff replacement barrels, stock, forend, etc? I realize there are several replacement parts makers, but if the older parts are in good shape I'd like to keep them as close to original as possible.

I'm sure there are several folks out there but it's just a matter of finding them. Thank you,

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Original parts are not common and usually not in good shape. What do you want to do? It seems foolish to disassemble a good shape original to do anything. Care to share?
BTW-- there are new Model 1886s marked Winchester and Browning. Not all the parts are interchangeable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly understand this, I’m sure some have replaced, especially stocks snd forends for nicer wood and the take offs are still in better shape than others. Just looking to see what might be out there.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Hoosier gun works dot com has more wood than most, but no '86 stocks or barrels.
You can expect to pay dearly for original wood in good shape. Many were butchered with a pad or notches or crude carvings, or ruined by a bad sand and refinish. Those rifles are many times restocked because the old wood is just fire wood.
The shop most likely to have old '86 parts would be Doug Turnbull restorations....or he can set you up with new wood that's better than the old.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s what I have with this one, initials crudely carved into forend. I’ve talked with Turnbull but they don’t have anything but replacement wood. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
That’s what I have with this one, initials crudely carved into forend. I’ve talked with Turnbull but they don’t have anything but replacement wood. Thank you for your input.
I have two Turnbull's, an 1886 and an 1885. They have a gun showroom at their headquarters. The wood they do have is nothing short of superb. I've seen guys bring guns in and they were told that they were devaluing the gun by replacing original wood that was salvagable. If you did get their wood, it's well worth the money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a '86 in 45-90 that Turnbull restored for me several years ago and I couldn't agree with you more, their work is amazing. This rifle is so nice I'm always reluctant to shoot it.
The one I'm working with now (40-82 WCF) will be carried and used much more so I really didn't want to put quite as much money into it. It's okay the way it is I was just looking to see what's out there.
I spoke with Turnbull earlier this week and was told that most of the takeoff wood, barrels, etc is returned to the customer and what wasn't was usually in really bad condition. Again, thank you for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts