Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fella has this rifle for sale which started out for 1100$ and now is 900$, I have been wanting one but want some advise form you guys if you think it's worth it. Should I wait a little longer?

His ad:

I have a superb, mint condition, Winchester 1892 - lever action - in .44 Remington Mag. It has only had 10 rounds through it. No dents. No dings. No rust. Pristine in every single way. Asking $900.00 FIRM.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
This fella has this rifle for sale which started out for 1100$ and now is 900$, I have been wanting one but want some advise form you guys if you think it's worth it. Should I wait a little longer?

His ad:

I have a superb, mint condition, Winchester 1892 - lever action - in .44 Remington Mag. It has only had 10 rounds through it. No dents. No dings. No rust. Pristine in every single way. Asking $900.00 FIRM.

I'd do it. If I'd bought the .44 short rifle instead of the .45 Trapper, I'd still have it.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Winchester. :rolleyes:

FYI

Any "Winchester" Model 1892/92's made after 1941 were manufactured in Japan by the Miroku Gun Works, under license from Winchester (who has a controlling interest in Miroku through their parent company, FN)

By law, the rifle's country of origin (if it's not made in the USA) must be so marked - usually in the barrel address.

Original New Haven Winchester 92's were discontinued well before (like 15 years) the .44 Magnum was a twinkle in the designer's eye.

IMO, that Model 92's well worth the asking.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's a given but it's still a Winchester, which is spelled out not only in the text of the OP but in the title of the thread. Not a "Browning or Taylor's", as the previous post asked.

·
Registered
915 Posts
The price is good and this model has the tang mounted safety. Myself I find this less intrusive than the Marlin cross bolt safety. If I ever find one in 357 I'll own it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know that this is an old post too bad that the OP does not say if he bought it or not. I know that I love my new Winchester Short in 44 Mag.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The Miroku 92's are beautiful, well made rifles.
They differ from the original 92's in that they have a sliding tang safety and a rebounding hammer.
I had one of the short rifles in 32/20,and while I didn't mind the tang safety, I did not like the rebounding hammer.
The cross bolt safety is a whole lot less obtrusive than the rebounding hammer, as it can be changed or eliminated easily.
For what it's worth, the Marlin cross bolt can be deactivated by taking off the butt stock and turning in the set screw, or you can replace the cross bolt safety with a saddle ring, or a screw that looks like another receiver screw.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Love my Rossi 92 Short rifle and the octagon barrel vs the Winchester round barrel. The forearm wood is longer and more correct than the Winchester for a short rifle. Cost me half as much too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know that this is an old post too bad that the OP does not say if he bought it or not. I know that I love my new Winchester Short in 44 Mag.
Yeah, I haven't been around for a while but no I didn't buy it, I bought a Marlin 1894 instead. The reason was that the rifle was marked .44 mag only and I wanted to shoot .44 spl as well as Mags. The Marlin was 500$ for a LN condition with no rounds fired but come to find out the seller lied but that's the past and I'm over it. I needed to buy a new lifter and it works flawlessly now so total was 565$. I'm happy with the Marlin but will alway love the Winchesters even if they're built in the east.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Yeah, I haven't been around for a while but no I didn't buy it, I bought a Marlin 1894 instead. The reason was that the rifle was marked .44 mag only and I wanted to shoot .44 spl as well as Mags. The Marlin was 500$ for a LN condition with no rounds fired but come to find out the seller lied but that's the past and I'm over it. I needed to buy a new lifter and it works flawlessly now so total was 565$. I'm happy with the Marlin but will alway love the Winchesters even if they're built in the east.
Winchester, Browning and Rossi 92 will all feed and fire 44 spls. The 94's should as well as factory 44 spls with the 246 gr lead bullets are the same overall cartridge length as a 44 mag. I've loaded R-P 44 spl cases with 19 grs of 296 under a 350 gr LFN and shoot them in all my 92's.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes mine also is marked 44Mag only. From what I understand it will shoot 44 special also with no problem. I am not sure why they marked it 44Mag only. It does not bother me, I will never shoot 44 special. Never been interested in 44 special.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FYI

Any "Winchester" Model 1892/92's made after 1941 were manufactured in Japan by the Miroku Gun Works, under license from Winchester (who has a controlling interest in Miroku through their parent company, FN)

"1941"? I think a date check would be appropriate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts