Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a Model 1895 in 30-40 from my father who passed away this past Jan. and am interested in some loads. When shooting Remington's 180 factory load I am shooting 3 - 3 1/2 " high at 100 yards. This rifle has a Lyman climbing peep sight on it and the sight is as low as it can go. I'm not interested changing the front sight out for a taller sight so I need to play with the loads. I would prefer to have it shooting about 2" high at 100 yards but if I can't get that by playing with the loads then I need to get as low as possible. I'm hoping to use it this next deer season in memory of my father who taught me how to shot and hunt. Thanks for any help anybody can give me on this matter.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is that Remington load with a pointed or round nose bullet? I think most early ammo was all round nose and that may make the difference if you are using a pointed bullet now. Do you intend to handload for it or are you referring to trying different factory loads? Shouldn't be too hard to work up a handload that does what you are looking for.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, dodge:
It looks like Winchester is the only company left that's loading the old Krag and it's a round nose. Your Remington ammo must be old stock. Changing loads makes quite a difference in the the point of impact in some guns and none in others. It's the old "Shoot It and See". If you're handloading, a powder switch might be all you need.

I'm not an expert on old peep sights, so I don't know which sight you've got, but dropping 2" won't take much adjustment. Perhaps a little filing would do the trick.

I know what you mean about it being your father's gun. I had my Dad's Remington Model 10 shotgun out a few days ago. He got it for his 14th birthday in 1924.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is their pointed soft point and it wasn't old stock but all the shop had on hand. I plan on reloading for this as soon as I get the dies. while looking through my loading manuals I discovered that the current sighting should give me a 200 yard zero. This is what I"m looking for so I may not need to get it any lower. In the brush where I'll be shooting off hand I won't even notice that it shoots this high. Thanks for your help in this matter.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
3 - 3.5" inches high at 100 yards does sound like a 200-yard zero for the Krag, especially with round-nose bullets. Your line of sight is very close to the bore so the trajectory has to be a little more arched than it would be if you had a scope on it.

For big game this might not be too bad of a zero, should give decent range to the old gal. Best to shoot it at that range if you get the opportunity, especially with iron sights everybody has a different sight picture.

Good luck with your hunting. A few years ago my Dad built a single-shot .30-40 Krag. It worked well for deer and I think that the bullet he ended up using was a 150gr. Sierra. They are a bit explosive in his '06, probably similar to a Ballistic Tip, but worked very well at Krag velocities. Not exactly a typical Krag loading but nice thing about the .30 cal bore is you have plenty of bullets to choose from.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I finally got some handloads done for this rifle and boy did it make a difference in where it shoots. One handload (48 grs of H4831 behind a 165 gr Hornady was about 6" to the left but center for vertical) The other 45.5 gr. of IMR4350 behind a 180 gr Sierra spitzer was 6" low but center for horizonal. The 165 gr load clocked at 2050 and the 180 gr load clocked at 2230. I got the 180 gr load shooting at 2" high at 100 and after shooting about a box of this load got 2 of 3 rounds into 1/2" but I pulled the third round after looking at the first two so it opened the group to almost 3". I think that with this load if I get a decent shot at a deer he will be in trouble.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've also got a 1895 Winchester carbine in 30-40 Krag. I shoot it everyyear and hunt with it. I love it. I take good care of it also. It shoots a couple of inches high at 100 yards too but I like it that way. Puts me in the meat out to 250 or so.
Has anyone ever loaded for the black powder calibers in the 1895.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts