Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have not used mine on any game yet. I would imagine they are going to be like any other brand. The V-Max and Remington Premium 22 Mag's are also lightly constructed bullet pushed pretty fast for a 22 Mag.

About 2 years ago I built a custom 77/22 Mag using a Shilen Match Grade barrel. It is amazingly accurate with all three loads I listed above. In most cases I will take accuracy over everything else. There isn't anything I will ever shoot with the 22 Mag where the lighter bullets won't do their job. If there is a doubt about using them on game up to coyote size , use a better caliber for the job or stick to some of the heavier 22 Mag bullets. A friend has used his 17HMR on coyotes out to 100 yards and it has been effective every time. I wouldn't recommend it personally but it works for him.

Here are a few pics of my 77/22 and the targets with the three brands of ammo I mentioned. I don't have my notes handy but the V-Max's ran the fastest over the chrony at about 2300+ fps!!

The rifle...

Win. Supreme ammo...

Rem. Accu-Tip ammo...

Hornady V-Max ammo...

Groups were at 50 yards and are more than I expected with a straight 4 power scope.

Maybe you could do a penetration test with a bottle of water and a backstop to try out the different ammo you have. That may give you a better idea about how they will perform compared to the others.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I've used these in my 10/22M on Porcupine and squirrel and grey fox. I shot one porcupine from underneath as he was wayyyyyyyyy up in a tree. At the shot the porcupine came straight down. A few seconds later the top of the brain pan came down too. Literally, it blew the top of it's head off. Brain pan was even void of blood. I used it on squirrel, shooting in the head, and it removed the head. The fox was hit in the neck and the bullet never exited. Fox was down on the spot. I like 'em.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
jkbt1,

Now those are some pictures that can't lie! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts