Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was fortnite enough to find some powder that I need but when I got home I noticed that it said “Rifle” and the one I have been using is the one that says “Handgun”.
Is there a difference between the two?

I use this powder to load for my Desert Eagle 50ae.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Call Hodgson.
Since that "rifle" and "handgun" flag is the only difference and winchester/Hodgson don't reference anything except 296, I would say they are the same.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,222 Posts
Printing error.

All it used to be good for was 410 shells.

RJ

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Oh you non-Hornet shooters.....does have a very limited (small case) rifle use...wouldn't think that "rifle" stamp was needed any more than 2400 would need it.

Then again...ask THEM...maybe they really made changes to the same powder (and if they did, bet they'll soon regret it).

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,745 Posts
.30 Carbine, as well. Strange to see the label changed.... it works in rifles, handguns, and shotguns ;)

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,222 Posts
I tried it in my 17 Hornet and was disappointed. A low dose gave me loose primer pockets and poor groups.

Anyways, if it made a difference, maybe they should print a label that says "410 bore shotshell" too 😕

RJ

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I've used WW-296 powder in reloading my .44 Magnum ammunition. H-110 is what I use now and it is very similar to 296.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The Hodgdon site shows the exact same load for both Rifle and Handgun .44 Mag with a 225 gr. bullet. I looked at their site and they mention nothing regarding 296.

I love it as it is good for 30 Carbine, .357 and .44 Mag, and 410. Been using it for about 40 years.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why Hodgdon would add to what can be an already confusing matter is beyond me. Full disclosure; H110/W296 is on my most-favored powders list.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I agree it was a printing error. W296 has always been a handgun powder, useful in some rifle cartridges and .410 shotguns.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
That bit of ad-copy doesn't mention rifles at all....which makes the "rifle" on the can kind of odd...unless they were thinking of all the .357,44mag type rifle/carbines.

(old enough to remember with the .44mag.Norma ammo was labled "carbine"...and the debates that lead to with pistol shooters?)

Think the main worry would be that there is some difference in the powder....and we HATE IT when they muck-about/change powders we've grown use to.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Notice on both containers, the words in the lower half of the orange block of the label both refer to magnum handguns and 410 shotshells. So it is clearly somebody running the labels through the wrong printing pile.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,745 Posts
Probably loaded the wrong graphics file into the label machine....

Anyway, I thought that the precursor to H110/296 was the .30 carbine?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Call Hodgson.
Since that "rifle" and "handgun" flag is the only difference and winchester/Hodgson don't reference anything except 296, I would say they are the same.
Autocorrect won't let me type H O D G D O N. Sorry about not proof reading it first...

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
H110/W-W296 are one in the same. Been loading them both in handgun magnum cartridges for 40 years .
Yes. Both are rebranded canister grade versions of St. Marks WC296 (WC stands for Western Canon and not Winchester Cartridge or Winchester Company, as some suppose, even though Olin owned it for a time). The name H110 was chosen by Hodgdon because it suggests it is for the 110-grain bullets used in .30 Carbine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts