Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from Scotland~

Wondering if i can get some opinons on some Winchester .30-30 rifles...or is that a silly question ??

Been looking at the Legacy 24" semi-pistol grip .30-30 and the Trapper 16" straight grip .30-30........... Like any gun i own it must be a hunter first and foremost plinker second !

If i get either one i would be keeping it scope FREE ! With perhaps a peep sight. The compact nature of the Trapper is really appealing.. but like wise the long barrel of the Legacy gives the impresion of a very stable platform to launch that .30-30 bullet from not to mention "boost" in the f.p.s department !

What sort of groups could i expect from either gun ?? How do they handle ? How do they shoot ?

Rehgards Englander

·
Registered
256 Posts
Englander: If it were me looking I would not examine any of the current production rifles unless you are looking for something caliber specific to new production. Rather, look for a used rifle made prior to 1964. You will be getting all forged and milled parts in the original design plus some history for your dollar.

How's your Marlin stock coming along?
best.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Englander, BCStocker
I would have given the opposite advice! (How do you turn on those smily faces!) If you are looking for an investment I agree. The older guns are valuable, and they look good.
I think, and my experiance may be more limited than others here, that the new Angle Ejects are stronger and more accurate than older Model 94's. They do not look as good, the safety stinks on ice and I have heard others speak of quality control problems (I have not experianced any), The triggers leave a little to be desired and the rebound hammer is not something I admire. Gosh I didnt realize there were so many negatives! But the guns shoot better than I care to discuss, I'd rather show it on the range. I believe they take higher pressure loads than the older guns will. but this is not a subject for an open forum.
I like the performance of the new guns despite their drawbacks. Are there any 7-30 Waters shooters out there to chime in?

·
Registered
256 Posts
william iorg: Englander's query was specific to 30-30 and the old action is amply strong for that. There is no need for angle eject as he has stipulated iron sights.

As for the new ones well- current rifles have a trigger which is placed like a cap gun, trigger pulls that are generally abominable, the ugly safety, second rate wood or worse, plastic injected stocks. I don't think they feed as well or shoot any better than old production rifles with a good barrel. The ones made immediately after 64 had some stamped parts that were really quite poorly made. If it comes to refinishing the actions drive a lot of gunsmiths to fits trying to get them to blue to a satisfactory color. Yes, the action may be slightly stronger but it isn't necessary for the 30-30. The old rifle made the name and the current one shows how far they are willing to cheapen it to capitalize on that. JMHO.

:mad: :mad:

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Hello again Englander!

I have but one 30-30; it is a Winchester from around 1969-70. It is top eject. It is essentially a stock rifle except that I refinished the stock and the previous owner put a Williams FP sight on it. He lost the small apeture, but the big one operates like a ghost ring. All in all it is a fine gun.

It is NOT a target gun by any means! On an average I can shoot a 2 to 3" group at 100 yards. Beware though, I have read in an article that I believe was written by Mike Venturino, the CAS guy, that the older Winnies tend to shoot the 170gr bullets better than the 150's. Such is the case with mine. The best "group" if you want to call it that, I got with the 150 variety was about 7"!!!!:( :eek: :(
I also own a trapper in 45colt that is of recent MFG. It is a VERY ACCURATE rifle! at 50 yards it can shoot about a half dollar with my handloads of Marshall's 265 Keith bullets.

I have no experience with the legacy pistol grip style, but I would venture to say you would be alright with the legacy!

Chris~

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a modle 94 Winchester 30-30 with a 20 inch bbl that was made in 1975. It's not as classy as a pre-64 but it does not have that silly cross bolt "saftey" like the new ones. Good thing about these older guns is that thay came drilled and tapped for a peep sight. This would be good for you since you don't want a scope. I have a Lyman peep sight on mine and it works great. I also installed a large loop lever (just think it looks cool) and sling swivals. At 50 yrds I get nice tight little clusters with both jacketed and cast bullets. I use a 175gr hard cast bullet with a gas check. I would recommend these older models but I have never had experiance with the newer ones. Eric

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentlemen~ Thank you for veiws and experience on these rifles............. These new 94AE's certinally seem to rile some folks up!

Why was the cross/bolt safety introduced ?? It seems generally to be not wanted by many ..... Was it to do with legal actions ??

Like the photo! My local shop has one very similar also pre-safety except the wood looks much darker and is varnished i believe.............

Englander

1 - 8 of 8 Posts