Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just acquired a Winchester Model 71, chambered in .348. Is anyone aware of an authoritative reloading guide available for this cartridge? The caliber was produced for many years,  there must have been a number interesting of loads worked up for it. Also, does anyone have any experience with the "Ackley Improved" version of the .348?

David

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,225 Posts
The current Hornady manual has load data, for their 200 grain bullet only, though.

If you can get a copy of Ken Water's Pet Loads there is information in that too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marshall,
Thanks for the reply. I havn't checked the board for a few days, was over at the coast chasing some salmon!
I did discover your posting in the wildcat section shortly after my initial post. I would be very interested in the old  Lyman manuals. The Model 71 .348 is an interesting rifle, and I think will become one of my favorites. I found a box of factory 200 gr., and the rifle shoots well, with a nice, satisfying thump against the shoulder.
Thanks again,
David  

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
It's late now... perhaps early, depends on how you look at it!  I've got Rx appointments tomorrow afternoon, but will try to get the info scanned and posted here tomorrow evening for you!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marshall since the topic is the 348 Win. I was wondering if you have a few boxes of the cast bullets lying around, I would be interested in them. Please notify me if you do. My e-mail address is [email protected] Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Barnes also shows load data. I use a moly coat Barnes & H-4350 powder. Nothing walks this hemisphere I would have doubts about it handleing. Want to try cast bullet loads if I can ever get some.

·
Registered
88 Posts
With regards to the 348WCF, Lyman, Hodgon, Accurate and Hornady all list current loads in their respective manuals. Beware of older data for  this cartridge as cases where lighter (resulting in greater case volume) than that of current manufacture by Winchester. Although a bit dirty burning and velocites not quite up to published levels, I have had good results with IMR-4350 and the 200 Gr. Hornady FP. Hawk bullets also manufacture various jacketed bullets in .348Cal.Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
<!--QuoteBegin--dlstuart+July 27 2001,20:14--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dlstuart @ July 27 2001,20:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi,
I just acquired a Winchester Model 71, chambered in .348. Is anyone aware of an authoritative reloading guide available for this cartridge? The caliber was produced for many years,  there must have been a number interesting of loads worked up for it. Also, does anyone have any experience with the "Ackley Improved" version of the .348?

David[/quote]
Try the following .348 load: Winchester cases, Winchester primers, 52 grains IMR-4350, 250 grain Barnes soft point.  Clocks about 2080 fps from Model  71 with 24 inch barrel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
congrats on acquisition of the model 71...i had one for a few years and it was probably the easiest rifle to shoot well offhand that i ever owned. wish i still had it...no load info from me though as i was never able to do any better than the factory 200 gr stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts