Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me the difference between a regular model 37 and a red letter. I have a 12 gauge with a 32 inch barrel and Winchester in script on the bottom of the receiver. Is it a red letter and what would it be worth?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
it is a Red Letter. now look at the release latch, is it a hand forged bent over piece of steel looking thing? or does it look manufactured/stamped? also is the actual hammer a little tiny looking thing or more normal size looking? pictures would help alot

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
It appears that this is certainly pre WWII and what I consider the better Model 37s. Red Letter means the word WINCHESTER on the underside is hilighted with red paint. Don't see it but I have a 20 that has only traces left.

Yours appears to be in good shape, like mine and I would not hesitate to use it with 2 3/4" loads. Around here folks want around $200 for these things but I think thats to much. $150 is more reasonable to me, but thats here. Can't say about your area. I think they are good guns.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think yours is a red letter WIN 37. It looks just like mine that I bought when I was 15 a bunch of yrs ago for $10. It "had" a 30" bbl but I foolishly cut it down to 24" to make a more convienent truck gun. Dumb move. The hammer is tiny and was called a semi-hammerless type & real hard to pull for a kid so I learned to curl the joint of my thumb over it to pull it back. I still have that gun tho. There are still traces of RED in the lettering on the bottom of frame. Now of course it is a cylinder bore. You have a nice gun.....don't make any changes like I did. Have no idea of value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts