Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think anyone is making them any more and they weren't made for long, but I wonder why. It seems to be a more powerful version of 10 MM. Maybe the .44 and 50 cal Desert Eagles filled the niche but it seems like an interesting platform. Probably not that pleasant to shoot, but that doesn't stop people from buying other hand cannons. Any one have first hand experience with this handgun?

·
Registered
534 Posts
The .45WinMag was designed to give .44Mag performance in a semi-auto. Namely, the Wildey and LAR Grizzly, with the AutoMag IV coming later. It's a good cartridge but the guns that chambered it were never very popular due to bulk/weight and cost so it never really took off.

A more powerful version of the 10mm would be the 10mmMag.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I own an LAR Grizzly in that caliber, and the specs for the cartridge might do about 5% above typical 44 Rem Mag loads...naturally both cartridges accommodate a wide range of loads. It's a great cartridge IMO, with lots of bullets available of course, and it can be loaded using all your 45 Auto dies, etc. My opinion is that 'auto loader' and 'enormous cartridge' is a combination that is mostly an entertainment feature, but to me it also makes a heckuva lot more sense than a revolver cartridge in an auto loader. The folks who make the Desert Eagle are not interested in chambering the gun in that caliber, and neither is anyone else, I guess. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but they instead developed a goofy new bottleneck for it. Go figure.

The LAR Grizzly platform was intended from the start to accommodate everything under the sun, and so I do believe the grip is longer from front to back than it needs to be even for the 45 Win Mag. Had it been limited in size to take just that round, I think it would be a bit less bulky, but probably not by very much. Still, I truly enjoy shooting it, and it is indeed a great cartridge...for something. I don't hunt, and hunting with an auto pistol seems a little weird to me...but that's just me.

A big load will push a 250 gr at about 1,350-1,400 fps.

When at the indoor range, especially, it's one of those that always gets a "what the...is that yer shootin'".

·
Registered
483 Posts
To me the biggest issue with the cartridge was the inability to crimp the bullets - it headspaces on the case mouth. So slow powders like H110 and even 2400 didn’t burn as well as they do in the .44 Magnum or .45 LC. My 10” Contender barrel gave very good performance with BlueDot, which didn’t need a crimp. Maybe the velocity was a bit below what it could have been with the slower powders, but regardless it worked just fine. I already had a 10” .45 LC so the .45 WinMag was sold as it did nothing the rimmed case couldn’t do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts