Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think for this year, I am going to focus on getting a Winchester 52 target rimfire (I like the old school look and the reputation for precision). Ultimately I'd like to get a good condition rifle with possibly a Unertl scope. I need a little help as I test the waters and learn about this model.

What would be a fair price on a winchester 52? I know that is a very general question, but I'm looking for an answer based upon condition scale of Good, Very Good and Excellent.

I've heard that the 52D is the cat's meow of all the models. Why is this?

What should a person look for in evaluating a 52? Any manufacturing quirks to look out for?

What is a fair price on the Unertl scopes? What types of crosshairs do they have? Anything to look out for while evaluating a Unertl?

What are good sources for this particular rifle and scope?

Think that about covers it. Thanks for the help fella's.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Winchester 52s models range from serial numbers with no model designations (early) to serial numbers and model designations (later). The last of the 52s carried serial numbers and model designations D and E. The last offering of 52Ds by CMP sold for IIRC $585, at the same time, the same rifles were selling for just under a $1000 by the online gun brokers. These prices were for rifles in generally good condition. Current prices for online rifles can be found at the gun brokers and would expect they range over $1000 depending on condition and extras e.g. scopes, iron sights, etc.

52D models are very desireable due their redesigned trigger and being near the last of the line. The E model being the last but produced in far fewer numbers. All 52s represented the best Winchester had to offer in an accurate rifle be they target or sporter version.

Condition would be a major consideration for anyone contemplating purchasing a 52. Civilian owned rifles have been cherished by shooters over the years so should be in good shape. Military rifles, which include many 52Ds, may come in any condition inasmuch as the military pays for them with your tax dollars. No manufacturing quirks that I know of other than the triggers got better in the newer models.

Again, prices on scopes can easily range from $500 to over $1000 depending on condition. Both Unertl and Lyman scopes were popular during the 52 era as they fit the original barrel mounted scope blocks perfectly. Unertls being valued slightly higher than the Lymans (IMO). Fine crosshairs or crosshairs with dot being most popular with either scope. IMO, for serious shooting out to 50 yards I would suggest at least 20 power. Again, when choosing a scope, condition comes first. Are the lens' clear and do the adjustments work properly e.g. clean clicks on adjustment knobs? Scope service is still available from Parsons Scope Service should it be needed. Parsons does excellent work which is also reflected in the cost.

Where to find rifles and scopes? Possibly CMP may have another offering of the 52Ds in the near future if you can wait it out. Otherwise, the online gun brokers will occasionally have rifles but usually at a higher price. eBay is a good source for both scopes, iron sights, and parts.

Be aware that both rifles and scopes, due to previous care and age, may require some servicing to suit your expectations. My 52D was purchased from CMP, while my Lyman scope and Redfield Olympic sights came from eBay. It's what I've always wanted but for years could not afford so having it all now is a dream come true.:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great response! Thanks for the info.

How much difference is there really between the triggers on the earlier models and the 52D? Will the earlier models still have relatively crisp triggers?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
[How much difference is there really between the triggers on the earlier models and the 52D?] - A BIG difference.

[ Will the earlier models still have relatively crisp triggers?] - Not really. They're certainly of target grade, i.e. head & shoulders above a field grade or sporting trigger - but also not as good as the latest/greatest, either.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Have a friend that knows a pawn shop owner well. This lady comes in every now and again and pawns a Winchester 52 for $50.00. That's all she ever wants is $50.00. She always comes back for it though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts