Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out the correct single mount for my Winchester 70, manufactured in 1994. Is the one currently available from Leupold correct for it? Nightforce and Leupold make a picatinny style mount as well but i don't think this is appropriate for my rifle, which is a hunting, not a tactical rifle.

Dan

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Not sure what type of scope you'll be mounting, but I have three mod 70s with the one piece Leupold base and two have low rings that work fine for mine with a scope up to 32mm/obj size. One has an older Lyman all American 3X (20mm) and it fits over the standard irons (pre '64).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you! Yes, it's a 30-06 long action and i did order the Leupold one piece i think from Midway... i am planning to use low Leupold rings with a 3x9x40 Leupold or Nikon scope.... i think it should be fine.

I also saw a new/old stock redfield one piece mount that looks almost if not identical to the Leupold one piece. Are the Leupold rings compatible with the Redfield one piece?

Regards to both of you again!

Dan

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Leupold rings will work fine with a Redield base (and vice versa). Do not, however mix rings from individual makers. In other words, don't use one Redfield and one Leupold ring as there is no set common height settings between ring makers. Some lows are lower than another maker's lows, etc.

Good Luck and congrats on a fine rifle, the model 70 is one of my very favorite rifles and topped with either brand of scope you mentioned you'll have a really nice set-up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts