Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Winchester Model 70 SA 243win, "coyote" with a 24" stainless bull barrel with a 1-in-10" twist.
If anybody reloads for a similar rifle in 243 with a 1in10" barrel twist, and has a deadly combination for accuracy and/or precision at 100yrds and would like to share please comment below. Im looking for a great hunting combination for shooting small to medium game out to 300yrds max.
Reloaders ONLY please and thank-you.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,876 Posts
Welcome to the board.

Soliciting handloads on the internet is a questionable activity.

What works well in someone else's firearm might not work worth a hoot in yours and could be possibly dangerous. No two rifles (even identical twins) will shoot the same. Best check out what the reloading manuals and mfg'rs websites have to offer. Some, like Lyman and Nosler will also list what they found to be the most accurate in their test equipment/firearms.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
kdub is, of course, correct. It is almost a waste of time to ask others what works for them. There is only one way to develop a load for your gun, and that is to develop it yourself. Pick a bullet that is good for your purposes; examine a few (a few, not just one) manuals and pick what looks like a good powder and start testing by using the "recipes" you find in the manuals. Repeat as necessary.

Any attempt to shortcut that process is just a shot in the dark (pun intended).

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
A couple tips to consider that seems to opine with most reloaders, is that most load developments will, produce at least two accuracy nodes, with one usually some where around mid table, and one up near or at max. But this almost always requires some extensive time spent trying different components and distances either touching, or off the lands.

The other generalized tip, is to only address and change one aspect / component at a time. If you don't approach it like this, you'll often find yourself running around in circles hopelessly trying to decipher what did or didn't work.

It's a process, one that can either be perceived as frustrating cumbersome work, or as an enjoyable and exhilarating hobby. For me it's, it's always been a rewarding and immensely enjoyable hobby.

SMOA

·
Registered
354 Posts
BurnerSF,
Check out Dan Newberrys site on Optimal Charge Weight. There are a few "universal" OCW loads listed that seem to work well with a variety of rifles, and may help with your decision development.

·
Premium Member
14,348 Posts
BurnerSF-- All the loads listed in dozens of manuals are "suitable" loads for your rifle. It's up to you to find the one that works in YOUR rifle. Nobody else can.

General rule of best accuracy is that it comes with 100% loading density. That sorts out the proper powders for the right bullets and go from there.

Reactions: So Dakota

·
Super Moderator
13,187 Posts
I'll add that you can use the JBM ballistics site stability estimator and lengths file to find bullets that are likely to do best with your 10" twist. Those with a stability factor in the range of 1.4 to 1.7 usually are most accurate in a rifle, but Sierra recommends anything from 1.3 to 3.0 for "hunting accuracy", and many bullets are so well made now that they can actually shoot very small groups with high accuracy with stability factors of over 1.7.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,580 Posts
Sheeezuss, next you'll be wanting us to reload 'em for you and send them to your doorstep.

Not from this kid. The best advice was already given

RJ

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
BurnerSF-- All the loads listed in dozens of manuals are "suitable" loads for your rifle. It's up to you to find the one that works in YOUR rifle. Nobody else can.

General rule of best accuracy is that it comes with 100% loading density. That sorts out the proper powders for the right bullets and go from there.
That's some excellent advice right there. Early in my beginnings I was given the same advice by a friend / BR shooter, load density is where it all begins!

SMOA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have about 10 reloading hand books. Im not new to reloading, been doing it for 15 years, i just wanted to compare what others out there are doing, to see if they have a good combinations.
I just finished reloading and found out that:
Hornady 87gr V-Max bullet
IMR 4350 - 44.1gr powder
3290 fps
< 1/4" grouping at 100yrds.
and you guys are right, because my Remington 700, Ruger M77, Encore 243's and this one are all different combos.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
In the interest of the OP, there some combinations that always seem to shoot well in the several .243's I've owned in the past.

I have yet to encounter a .243 that didn't shoot well to excellent with IMR7828 or the 4831's with the Sierra 100gr bullet's of any type, or Hornady's 100gr Spitzers. They will all kill antelope and deer cleanly out to that 300yd number, and even a bit more. And those components are generally available.

If you want to try a lighter bullet, like the 85gr Nosler Partition, 85gr Speer BTSP, or an 87gr Hornady Bonded, H414/W760 is another combination that does well.

Although opinions on the .243 are at least as extreme and variable as any round ever chambered, it is actually effective and reliable when "properly applied". It's suitable only when the shooter recognizes the limits, and stays in the groove. I have always had one or two.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
A few years ago,? Before Savage/ Stevens,? Decided to discontinue,? It's great Model 200 Rifle.? I bought one in the Win 243.? For Coyote Hunting.My Buddy & Neighbor says that he loads his rounds with IMR 4350 Powder,? And says his groups will cover a dime @ 100 Yds etc.? I am planning to start some reloading for this Caliber.? Using the same powder also.? And see hoe it goes from there etc.?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A few years ago,? Before Savage/ Stevens,? Decided to discontinue,? It's great Model 200 Rifle.? I bought one in the Win 243.? For Coyote Hunting.My Buddy & Neighbor says that he loads his rounds with IMR 4350 Powder,? And says his groups will cover a dime @ 100 Yds etc.? I am planning to start some reloading for this Caliber.? Using the same powder also.? And see hoe it goes from there etc.?
Yeah, IMR 4350, IMR 3031, and Alliance Reloader 19 are great for the 243. with the right bullet weight based on barrel length and rate of twist, and Rifle manufacture, i can almost hit the same hole more than once @ 100yrds and 1/4" group at 200. And these are Hunting bullets, not match.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Yeah, IMR 4350, IMR 3031, and Alliance Reloader 19 are great for the 243. with the right bullet weight based on barrel length and rate of twist, and Rifle manufacture, i can almost hit the same hole more than once @ 100yrds and 1/4" group at 200. And these are Hunting bullets, not match.
Then I have nothing to teach you, Grasshopper.

·
Registered
118 Posts
.243 loads

I have a short barrelled Remington Model 7 in .243

I could not get a load to perform well using 3031 powder. On advice from this forum I procured some 4350, I started at 36 gr using CCI standard primers. I insisted on using Nosler 100gr partitions. I worked up to 38.8 gr where I got acceptable 100 yard accuracy, then I started diddling with case length and found if I seated the bullet 0.300" from the rifling accuracy improved even more. Since then I haven't looked back. It is a process and you have to follow it or you will cheat yourself out of better performance.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Im about to do that w/ a 223. Ive shot it 4x w/ Nosler 60 gr Partitions and have yet to get anything acceptable, 2-3" groups.

Now Im going to try adj the length and see where that goes..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im about to do that w/ a 223. Ive shot it 4x w/ Nosler 60 gr Partitions and have yet to get anything acceptable, 2-3" groups.

Now Im going to try adj the length and see where that goes..
If that doesnt work, make sure your scope rings are tight, scope mount is tight, scope base is tight, and sometimes i have found if you float the barrel just enough to fold a piece of paper in half and slide it from the front of the stock to the end without much tension, that helps too. Also make sure the weight of the bullet matches the rate of twist in your barrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi burnerSF. It is important to reiterate the advice you received early on: purchase two or three current reloading manuals and peruse the various loads for your caliber. You will find in those manuals a number of possibilities for a good starting point in your search. The rest is up to you to draw your own conclusions after shooting your reloads. Having reloaded for 60-some years, I learned very soon and quickly to never share the details of my reloads with other folks. These other folks invariable feel obligated to make changes in your formula and shoot these in their rifles, sometimes with disastrous results. Guess who they blame first for their ignorance? Shoot straight, be same, and have fun!!
Dan (Jayhawk_Dan)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts