Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pre 64' model 70 featherlight in 30.06

I know nothing about the rifle other than what I've learned over the past few days reading the manual and cleaning the filthy thing (It was the dirtiest gun I've ever seen).

Here is the problem, I take apart the bolt and the three position safety nicely clicks to all positions. I In order to get the gun into full safety it takes a bit of force, and the you can see the firing pin move back. Is this normal? The bolt matches the receiver serial number, and otherwise the gun does not seem like it has been fooled with. With the bolt apart you can see that the it has been like this for a while because the safety seems to have some score marks on it where it rotates into the firing pin to block it.

Thanks for your time,
Peter

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,686 Posts
Yes, the striker / firing pin (whatever you want to call it) is moved back off the sear by the safety. Mausers do the same thing.

If the safety has started to dig a little divot in the firing pin, it can take some effort. Sometimes this is reported with model 70s and I have had it happen to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent,
That matches up with what I found out today when I went to the local shop and looked at another model 70.
I was unsure about how the safety should function and did not want to take it out to fire it for the first time without being 100% sure that it was correct.

Thanks,
Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts