Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  I found a winchester 88 action and I have a win 81 348 barel  is there any way to make this work.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Based on the conclusion that you aren't kidding consider the following.  A model 71 barrel is in a caliber and for a cartridge design that is not compatible with a Mod. 88 action. If it were possible to set a Model 71 barrel back far enough to rechamber for a basic case (308 or 284 ) you would then achieve some sort of wildcat 348 which you would have to handload for and no body would buy from at any price. In the meantime you would have ruined a 348 barrel and if it is in near new condition might bring you enough money to rebarrel the 88 in a chambering the rifle was designed for. I'm not saying it can't be done and I'm not inclined to get the books out and measure things up to find out. It's doing things the hard way. Stocker

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

BC
       I was dreaming a lot .  A friend pulled the barrel to make a 50 alaskan.  I would sure like to put a 348 together the with out spending a arm and leg. Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
So why not get the 88 barreled to 358 Win?  A very effective cartridge, similar to the 348 in most respects except it will work through your action.  If that's a new 348 barrel it should be quite saleable/tradeable. BCstocker

1 - 4 of 4 Posts