Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland~

I have been thinking of a Winchester .30-30 Trapper, i really like the compact nature of the rifle......Now i may have another option which will give me more punch !

I have found a Winchester 94 AE .307 in very good condtion it has its original 20" barrel...........but its mag tube has been reduced and stops with the fore end ! I think the reason for this modification was to make it look more like a European stalking rifle it has mount fitted. I believe now the mag tube only holds 3 rounds !

So do i take advantage of the reduced tube and have the barrel lopped off at 16" and convert it to a .307 Trapper ???

Or do i restore it to its original full lengh tube ?

Were would i get a new tube and barrel band or other bits required ?? A simple job ??

Englander

·
Banned
739 Posts
I have always disliked half magazines. Don't know why, but I do. If I were to get the gun you describe I would restore it to it's original condition.

I think you would loose a bunch of performance from the 307 round if you cut the barrel. The 307 is simply a slightly de-tuned 308Win with a rim.

Removing and replacing the forearm and magazine tube is just a matter of removing the band screws, and sliding the barrel bands off. Very easy. Go to the Gun Nuts.com section here at Beartooth and I think they have exploded drawings of a 94 Win. They are one of the simplest lever guns extant.

I believe you can get the parts you need from USRAC (WIN), or Gun Parts Corp.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Englander,

Go ahead and get the 307. Sounds like a neat item as it is. I don't think I would cut the barrel. Lose too much velocity and thats the whole point of the 307. If you want, get a standard tube and magazine spring, then you can switch them out when ever it tickles your fancy.

You had asked in an earlier post about the 16" 94's. I had one with the oversized lever in 44 mag and it handled like a dream. I loved toting it in the woods. A really handy rifle. Looking back on it I wish I had gotten it in 30-30.

So! There's your answer! Get the 307 and then get the Trapper or Wrangler with the 16" barrel in 30-30! Simple.

It ain't nuttin but money!

Reb

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Englander,

Hello my friend! It's good to be back at the forum. As you know, my wife and I just moved and things have been quite hectic the last few weeks. I hope this note finds you well.

As for your .307, I'd say buy it and leave it in its modified state. The cut-down magazine may actually help your accuracy, since there is no weight hanging out at the end of the muzzle. I would not reduce the barrel length, however. While the .307 appears to be a substantial improvement over the .30-30 on paper, in reality there isn't much of a difference past 150 yards or so due to the less-than-aerodynamic flatnose bullets required in tube magazines. The .307 starts out much faster, but as the range increases that gap narrows quite a bit. I wouldn't want to lose any more velocity by chopping the 20" barrel.

Sounds like you'll have a versatile stalking carbine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !

Not what i expected ! As many of you have said the Trapper .30-30 is a handy,neat, little woods rifle, its compact barrel, its reduced velocity is excepted as the cost of producing a "handy" little rifle. Its designed to be used close up in thick cover, an ideal "snap" shooter............

While i under stand the reluctance of lop off 4" off the standard 20" .307 barrel the same could be said of the standard .30-30 ! Why get a 16" trapper ? go for the standard 20" or even the 24" !! Yet............. The Trapper sells and many admit to owning them an further more really like them.

I put that a .307 Trapper would beat the pants off a .30-30 Trapper ! And therefore be a superior for the purpose to which the Trapper was designed........ agreed ??

Perhaps my question should have been "If they made a .307 Trapper , as well as the standard would you buy both" ???

I reckon i will go for this rifle and play it by ear....... see how it feels handle. Perhaps restore the mag tube ??
Ive heard so many good things about this rifle i will have to try one ! Will keep you posted on progress......... Next step ......asked police for permission to own one! Send my licence in for a variation ! And wait...............! And pay £26 !
:(

Englander

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
The one saving grace of the Trapper-style carbine is its ultra short length. A very handy attribute for fur trappers who are constantly squatting, bending, and kneeling down over their traps. When he needed to take a shot, more than likely it was to dispatch an animal caught in one of his traps at very close range. Or as a"surprise shot" on a deer that happened along as he was tending his wares. In both cases, accuracy and top velocity weren't that important. Handiness overruled.

Now for the stalking hunter, accuracy and a bit more velocity are significantly more important than absolute handiness. Within reason, of course.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Englander
If you can get a good look at this rifle check the magazine tube plug to see how they attached it. If they used the original Winchester plug they drilled and tapped a hole in the barrel, or made some other provision.
If they used a Marlin plug they did not need another hole in the barrel.
I may have said this before but we have found with the M-94AE in .30-30AI that we are playing with now, removal of the magazine tube and front barrel band significantly reduced group size. I have not tried removing the band and magazine tube from my .307.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Go ahead and make it into a Trapper if you desire. You only live once.

I prefer the Trapper lengths myself. I've been thinking about a Winchester 94 in Marlin 444 in the Trapper or should I say Wrangler configuration. But it just does not look right without the saddle ring. If I find a 94 in 444 for a decent price I'll do it. If not then, oh well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Found this old thread and it has me wondering. Any updates or other news??

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you hunt the brush where you need a fast handling easy to carry rifle.Cut it off.It sounds to me thats what you really want..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts