Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 94AE in .307 winchester, anyone have any experience with this model?

I have also posted a reloading question on the handloading forum as factory loads are limited.

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
268 Posts
exflatlander~

Welcome to the forum, congrats on buying an excellant Rifle and calibre..........

I do not own one, nearly bought one a wee while ago , but you have certinally come to the right place there are a few guys here that have a lot of experience with that rifle and plenty of reloading tips !

Good luck that that new rifle...

Englander

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome Exflatlander!
I own a Winchester model 94 AE .307. I have not shot mine, but I have been told by guys in the know that the .307 is a very accurate caliber. It's a .308 for all practical purposes, except the bullet nose is flat which enables the cartridge to be used in the tubular magazine. I have also been told by numerous sportsmen that if they had to select just one of the Winchester Big Bores as a keeper it would be the .307! It's a hard to find caliber, at least in the Win. 94 combination. Other gentlemen on the board will probably have more technical information for you.

Kind regards,
Timberwolf ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
You picked a good one!

exflatlander-

Great choice! I have used my .307 to take 4 Whitetails and none of them required a second shot. These were all taken at normal woods ranges and the farthest any went is 10 yards. I've never shot a deer with a factory load from this gun as I've had great luck with all the handloads I have tried in it (Nosler 170 grn R/N Partition, Hornady 170 F/N Interlock, and Speer 170 grn F/N Hot-Cor).

I won't repeat William Iorg's advice in your post on the "Handloading" BB other than to say that I agree 100% about the Hornady 170 grn F/N. It's a great bullet and should serve you just fine. Good luck with your .307 Winchester and let us know how your load development progresses.

If you're like me, your experiences with the .307 will make you hanker for a .356 and a .375; so be careful as the Winchester Big Bore calibers can be contagious!

·
Banned
145 Posts
Exflatlander,

William Iorg is one of the most knowledgable folks on the Big Bore series of cartridges that you will hear from and he has been a big help to me when I was working with a 356 Winchester. He is full of good advice.

Something that you might (or might not) find useful is the fact that the .307 is really just a .308 with a rim and a slightly shorter OAL to work through the 94 action. The bullet is seated slightly deeper. The 356 is the same except it is also expanded to take the .358 dia. bullets. Now the interesting part. My 356 will feed and extract .308 brass like it was made for it. Fire forming should leave me with good usable (and cheaper) cases. I would be willing to bet that the .307 will also feed, chamber and extract the .308 brass as well. Give it a try and see, you might find a source of cheaper brass.

Reb

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the advice. I knew it was a keeper when I saw in the gun rack of a local shop here in NH.

It is in my safe right next to it's little brother - a 94 trapper in .357.

I will let you know how a make out.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Reb,
William Iorg is full of it all right! Just ask his wife! I cannot tell you how many posts on this board have brought forth a "I should have known" or "I should have thought of that!".
Seriously, Midway has .307 and .356 brass on sale in the December catalog. I think that both Graff and Sons and Weidner have it available also.
There are some pretty good sale itms in the latest Midway catalog. The load map series is available for $4.00! If you have not used Midways Load Maps, check them out, they are realy interesting and useful. They seperate bullets by type and podwers are lined up with pressure for every load. You can pick your bullet weight, the velocity you desire, and then pick the powder that provides both at the lowest pressure. This is really a good presentation of load data.
ExFlatlander, your .357 Trapper will be fun to hear about. My father has one that will feed any bullet shape from any position. It especially likes the 200 grain RCBS fnGc. Tell us about yours.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My only load so far is a light-clean load for both the carbine and my 6 1/2 blackhawk.

158 gr jhp hornady over 4.6 gr of Clays.

Not much kick and fairly accurate offhand, however I don't have all of the fancy gear to tell you the actual fps and so on.

I only tried it because I remembered how clean burning clays powder was from my trapshooting days.

Other than that I have just been going trhow some cheap factory .38 and .357 I had piled up.

It is a lot of fun to shoot and shooting .38s through it feels like shooting a .22.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Exflatlander,

I have a 357 in a Rossi 92. 24" octagonal barrel and all stainless! I love shooting it. Like you said, it is like a big .22 with .38 loads. My best accuracy so far has been with the Georgia Arms 357 "Deer Stopper" load (a 158 gr. JHP).

Another favorite is a 148 grain lead SWC over 2.6 grains of Unique. Cast very soft, it is quiet, accurate and "a hoot ta shoot".

William,
I have put the load map books on order forms a couple of times and just never have gotten around to mailing it. Guess I need to rectify that!

Reb

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have one. Im using a 170 gr Speer fp, 40 gr win 748 and a WLR primer... It's the only load I use. Not a barn burner but it kills them just as dead. the rifle will shoot a 1.25 group when I do my part. I still have 5 boxes of factory stuff that I have searched Northern Colorado for..... some were pretty dusty. I think that there are a few boxes left at one store, I quit buying when I got to 500rnds of brass. 100 factory and 400 new brass. I had it drilled a tapped for a williams FP 94 sight. I used the standard (not 94 BB FP)sight and matched th contour of the receiver, My Smithy prefered them that way , as do I. I guess I was rambling a bit but it sure is fun talking 307 with other guys bout' the 'old odd duck'

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Winchester 94 AE .307 and have a question. I have 60 rounds of Winchester Super-X .307 rifle cartridges. They are somewhat blount nose bullets. But the diameter of the nose of the bullet is approx. the same as the diameter of the primer. Are these rounds safe to carry in the tublar magazine? I purchased the rifle from a dealer brand new about 5 years ago. I have fired about 10 rounds target shooting in training as a police sniper. I found the rifle to be very accurate to about 100 yds. I am just concerned about the tubular magazine.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
You will have no difficulty with either of the factory rounds. I just put a factory 180-grain round up against the primer of another round and the meplat is considerably smaller than the primer.
The meplat measures .190” and the primer measures .210”. These are rough measurements of course.
I have shot quite a few factory loads cycled through the magazine and many Handloads using about all of the 30-30 flat nose bullets with no difficulty.
Good to meet another 307 shooter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts