Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at picking up a new 94 in 30/30 from Wally World and throwing a set of Ashley Outdoors Ghost Ring sights on it.  Is wear a major issue with 30/30 as it is with the 444?  Has quality slipped that far?  What do you think of this combo for a woods rifle?  Does anyone use this set up?  Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey Guys,

I bought my wife's Marlin 30-30 on the used market....it has  a cross bolt safety, so is not too old.  I don't expect to ever need to buy her another.  The 30-30 is a relative mild cartridge as to operating pressures.  You just need to do regular cleaning and keep it oiled.

El Lobo in NM

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a Model 94 carbine that I inherited in '77 from my grandfather and it was old then.  Been shooting it all these years and it's still going strong.  Fed correctly, you should not wear it out.  Proper maintanence will help against any function problems.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My grandfather gave me his 94 in 78, he bought it in
51, I will again be using it for ELK, in the dense
areas of the Olympic Penn of Wa state. Yes...
I have taken 3 elk with this rifle, the only change
this year will be my choice of bullets, I will be using
Nosler, over 30 grns of IMR 3031.

·
Banned
738 Posts
They've been making the Win 94 for 110 years now. They got it down pat. Wear is not a factor in a normally maintained and used rifle.

Joe

·
Registered
305 Posts
mine was made in 1919 and still works really well. Action is good, it was well taken care of. I like the older ones better than the new ones-that's just me.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Jack,
I have several Angle Eject winchesters including a .30-30 and a .444 Timber rifle. I have had no problem with either of these two. I and others on this board have had some minor feeding problems caused by the cartridge stop on the link. My .307 began having a problem of allowing a cartridge to jump the cartridsge stop on the link and jumping under the carrier causing the action to tie up. I ordered and replaced the carrier with no further problems. This rifle has been shot quite a lot so I had no complaint. I have heard of a few others with the same problem, some of them new. It is a simple problem to fix. I have heard of no other "chronic" problems.
There are a number of threads, some with links, on this board detailing how to easily work on the triggers and smooth the feeding of the angle ejct rifle.

In fairnes to Winchester my Marlin 1894CL in .32-20 developed the same feeding problem. On the Marlin the little button kicker popped off the carrier and now the gun will not feed. This one is also way out of warranty so I will have to buy this part also.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Give it halfway decent care and that Model 94 will eventually wear out. But you and I will be long gone from this Earth before that ever happens.

I'm shooting a 1963 Model 94. It only gets smoother with age.

The only way to "wear out" one in a single lifetime is improper cleaning/maintenance or shooting reloads that are too hot. And that isn't wear, that's abuse.

·
Registered
150 Posts
( Quote )..." Is wear a major issue....as it is with the .444?" :confused: That's a new one on me. Where pray tell did you hear that?? Just curious. Lee.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Have one built in 41 and haven't had any trouble with it.

CD

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have two model 94 30-30's one made in 1897 and one in 1910. Neither one is wornout and I expect to hand them down to my son someday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts