Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to swap the hammer and or trigger group on the newer Winchester 94s (with the rebounding hammer), to one from one of the older post 64 non-rebounding versions? I despise the rebounding hammer setup and would love to replace it. I have examined some of the parts diagrams and while there are some changes they appear very similar. Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Reb,
I have a Win.94 Timber Car. in 444 and had some modifications done to it- one of which was having the off-set hammer screw hole filled and reblued.  The other modification was getting rid of that ugly, centered trigger in the trigger ring- a new safety addition.  I too, like the looks of the older models- 94's/71's/86's- etc. hammer and trigger locations!  The draw back is your rebounding hammer has only "1" safety- that is the cross bolt.  This has created no problem for me, however it does negate the warranty.  You wind up with the nice looking 'former look' and with a trigger job @ 3 lbs., can do some real fine shooting with it.  I'll try to attach a picture for you of the finish look.  Any competent gunsmith should be able to do it for you.  While I had a lot of other work performed on it, the trigger work cost &#3660., filling the hammer hole and rebluing about &#3615.  Best Wishes!

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Jim!
I really like the sound of that trigger job.  I have a Win. 94 Big Bore in 356 and it is currently getting an action job at the gunsmiths.  What I would really like to do is replace the hammer with one that has a half-cock and is non-rebounding so that the full force of the hammer blow strikes the firing pin.  This rifle doesn't have the crossbolt safety and I lose no sleep with out it.  I hate those things!  They have already cost me a deer this year!  I'll never understand why a proven 100+ year old design needs to be "improved" with these lawyers cursed "safety devices".  They only screw up a good thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts