Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too the best of my knowledge Winchester has never produced a 94 in the 35 Remington. My question is why? Seems like it would be a no brainer. The power levels, pressure, cartridge length, etc all seem well within the 94 actions capabilities. While I have heard of a wildcat 35/30 for the 94 I have never even heard of a 94 being chambered for the 35 Remington.

I can see that the action rails would need to be thinned and the extractor and cartridge stop might need to be tweaked, but other than that and a 35 cal. barrel, what else would need to be done?

I would imagine that Winchester wouldn't have any trouble selling them if they would chamber a run in 35 Rem.

Would anyone else out there be interested in such an item?

Just curious,

Reb

· Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slim,

Have you (or anyone else) ever heard of such a conversion or custom job? Seems like it wouldn't be too tough to do. Would anything else be needed other than what was listed above?

Reb

· Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to say that I agree with Ribbonstone. I think the 94 action could be made to work with the rimless cartridge of the 35 Remington. I have no intention of building a custom 94 in 35 Rem. I was wondering if it would be a relatively easy fix for WINCHESTER to do, not me.

I have supported Winchester and Marlin (Rossi too come to think of it), by putting my money where my mouth is. I have a 35 Remington in the Marlin, a 356 in the Winchester and a 357 Mag in the Rossi 92. I hope to either pick up a Savage 99 in 358 or maybe customize a project Mauser 98 I have to 35 Whelen.(or both!!)

Alk8944, I think the reason for the 307 and 356 being developed instead of using the 308 and 358 was not as much to do with the rim as it was the OAL of factory rounds being too long for the action and the fact that pointed bullets in the tube mags is a big NO NO!

Craig Boddington was recently touting 35 calibers in a couple of magazine articles (including the 356). Who knows maybe with a little help like that and if somebody from Winchester gets lost and stumbles in here, we as shooters might get lucky and have Winchester fill what looks to me like a hole in their line. If they were to make a 94 in 35 Rem (without the crater) I would have to line up for one of those. As much as I like the Marlin in 35 it just doesn't handle as well for me as the 94.

Who knows we could get lucky!

Hey, it could happen!

Reb

· Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Alk8944,

I don't disagree with your opinion that the reason Winchester didn't do the 35 Rem. was due to the $$$ involved. But they did redesign the receivers on the Big Bore line to handle the higher pressures of the .307, .356 and .375s.

I do disagree with you that if existing cases would have worked in the action then Winchester could have just changed the bullet design and headstamp to produce the new round. The litigation crazy society that we live in would have bankrupted Winchester by now with lawsuits from folks that had blown up their rifles with pointed bullets or incorrect ammo that they thought would "fit". That solution, while practical, is not lawyer proof enough!

I have fed 308's through my 356 quite a few times and they worked well (fired none). Extraction and ejection were perfect. Every now and then one would slip past the magazine cartridge stop under the lifter and tie up the action. And of course you wouldn't need the heavier Big Bore receiver for the 35 Remington. I have also noted some articles by Lane Simpson and Paco Kelly who have used 308 and in one case 358 brass in 356 rifles with no ill effect and apparently with atleast decent function. I am certianly no gunsmith but that led me to think that the 94 action could be made to work with rimless cartridges with a little minor tweaking, but I definitely could be wrong.

Reb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.