Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6,655 Posts
Reb.
I think Winchester never chambered the .35 Rem because they have had a different ".35 caliber" cartridge with the Winchester name on it all along. The .35 Winchester, the .33 WCF, the .348, the .358 and then the .356. Winchester has been pretty good about bringing out powerful woods type cartridges. we consumers have not been very good about buying them!
Winchester even came out with the .218 Bee so you could have a companion gun with the same trajectory to go along with your hunting rifle. Most of us still didnt buy.
Being a fan of Francis Sell I believe in the "understudy rifle" and have a .356 and .218 Bee. The two calibers compliment each other very well. I wish Winchester would make a Model 64 type rifle in .307 and .356. I wrote them about it and they answered very nicely. But I know I'll never see one.

· Registered
6,655 Posts
The .401 WSL, didnt Kenneth Fuller Lee call it "The Hammer of Thor"?

I think that Winchester will come back out with something in the big bore line shortly. Winchester has been pretty faithful to woods shooters for a long time with a series of cartridges from the .33 Winchester through the .356.
What we seem to lack is a few good gun writers to champion the cause! Layne Simpson, Clay Harvery and a few others beat the drum for woods cartridges whenever they can but I'll bet they dont sell many magazines with the .356 or .444 as the lead story.

· Registered
6,655 Posts
I believe all the people are still here!
I have never seen a top eject 356. There are a few top eject 307’s out so it makes sence there would be a 356 or two out there.
Forum member Maroontoad (Snow) and others have angle eject 375 Winchesters but they are not common.
I have had the quickest kills on deer using the 307 but the 356 with 200-grain bullets works well on light frame critters.

· Registered
6,655 Posts
I have bored every one here with many tales of “dropped in its tracks” kills on deer with the 307. I have experienced more of this result with the 307 Winchester than with any other cartridge I have used and I have used quite a few.
My favorite bullet is the Speer 170-grain Hot Core and for many years I loaded this one down to between 2,350 fps and 2,400 fps using IMR 4064. (40.0 grins)
I switched to Alliant Reloder 15 and Hodgdon Varget and stepped up the velocity quite a bit but the results are the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.