Shooters Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Banned
75 Posts
I have a Winchester .307 BB AE which I love. Also had a fantastic Win .375 BB which I wanted to love but couldn't because it wasn't an angle eject and my failing eye sight wouldn't allow me to shoot irons anymore. I had a chance to buy a Win .356 BB but didn't because it wasn't an angle eject.

If Win made a .356 BB AE I'd be interested. All things being equal punching a bigger diameter hole through the big bucks I like to shoot appeals to me. I would have to study the ballistics of the Win .356 BB out to 200 yards and see if it compares favorably to the .307 I'm shooting before I would make the switch. I don't think Winchester made any of the .356 BBs as AE's that could take scopes which would give the .35 Rem Marlin rifles an advantage.

You guys have me interested now in comparing the ballistics of the .356 with the .35 Rem and the .307 only because that's my favorite deer caliber/rifle right now.

· Registered
6,655 Posts
I believe all the people are still here!
I have never seen a top eject 356. There are a few top eject 307’s out so it makes sence there would be a 356 or two out there.
Forum member Maroontoad (Snow) and others have angle eject 375 Winchesters but they are not common.
I have had the quickest kills on deer using the 307 but the 356 with 200-grain bullets works well on light frame critters.

· Banned
75 Posts
William do any of your deer kills with the. 307 go down in their tracks? I have made good clean shots on 4 big bucks and only one weny down in its tracks because I was shooting from a very steep angle and severed the spine. The others were clean shots riqht behind the front shoulder but they ran anywhere from twenty to forty yards before piling up.

· Registered
6,655 Posts
I have bored every one here with many tales of “dropped in its tracks” kills on deer with the 307. I have experienced more of this result with the 307 Winchester than with any other cartridge I have used and I have used quite a few.
My favorite bullet is the Speer 170-grain Hot Core and for many years I loaded this one down to between 2,350 fps and 2,400 fps using IMR 4064. (40.0 grins)
I switched to Alliant Reloder 15 and Hodgdon Varget and stepped up the velocity quite a bit but the results are the same.

· Registered
2,453 Posts
I had a chance to buy a Win .356 BB but didn't because it wasn't an angle eject.

If Win made a .356 BB AE I'd be interested. All things being equal punching a bigger diameter hole through the big bucks I like to shoot appeals to me. I would have to study the ballistics of the Win .356 BB out to 200 yards and see if it compares favorably to the .307 I'm shooting before I would make the switch. I don't think Winchester made any of the .356 BBs as AE's that could take scopes which would give the .35 Rem Marlin rifles an advantage.
Acutally they do (or did) make a .356 AE in the '94...I have one but on the barrel after .356 AE it says XTR if that counts :D. It'll easily do a 200 yard shot. I haven't done as much work with loads as I'd have liked but with the 180 Speer during load work up I shot this:

That's with 47.3 Ramshots X-Terminator @ around 2500 fps. The next increment started opening up with no substantial increase in velocity. When I shot a 5 shot, it did open up to around 2", but I was short on time and figured enough to kill a deer, esp when when where I was hunting 100 yards was a long shot. I want to put some more time into it work some other loads, esp the 200 Rem Core Lokt RN, but Winchester doesn't recommend RN in it, only flat nose bullets. Maybe I'll shoot some 220 Speers and see how they do.

· Banned
75 Posts
Nice cloverleaf! So I guess Winchester made AEs in all of the big bore models. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. To date I have seen AEs in .307 only but obviously they exist in other calibers. Might be fun to have one AE big bore in the other two calibers. I had a non cross bolt .375 BB with fantastic wood but sold it because it wasn't an AE and my eyes need a scope these days.

· Registered
1,967 Posts
The Remington soft points aren't a problem in a tube magazine as the exposed lead is very soft, leave em in the tube with a tube full and they'll easily deform into flat noses. Be that as it may, there's really no problem using pointy bullets in a tube magzine as long as you limit the rounds in it to two or three max. I've done this many times at the range shooting 110 sierra HP's in my 66 Canadian Centennial. There's not enough pressure exerted on the primers to set em off this way.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
There was no need and and never any outcry for a 35 Rem in the 94, for one reason it shows no real improvement over a 30-30 except in the mind of some...One Arizona smith came out with a conversion of a 30-40 cased line of wildcats for the 94, and it was a nice round but fell flat on its face...America has a history of not excepting the 35 caliber....We had the 35 rem pump, later the 358 in a Savage 99 and win. 100 and 88, none of which set the world on fire with sales..Most 94 users liked the 30-30 and still do, and every kid out West began his hunting career with a 94 in one of its calibers, cowboys liked them and still do as they are easy to pack horseback, and back East they liked them in the brush..I guess it was just too perfect to even try and improve. still is.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Additionally the 35 Rem case is not a rimmed case and the 94 is built around rimmed cases...The 99 Savage might make a better conversion, but then I would opt for the 358 Win and Savage did make the 99 in that caliber....

· Inactive account
4,919 Posts
Run .303 Brit into 35 Rem die, trim to length and fire form, turn rim to .30/30 rim size. Chamber re bored .30/30 barrel for .35 Rem. end result = .35 Rem Rimmed. Can also use .30/40 Gov. cases for same results. You will also need to thin down the cartridge guides to give the cases room to pass through. There is at least one such example somewhere in Falmouth Mass. area that I know of and one in the Ogden Utah area.

[note:] The one in Mass. has an 18 1/2" barrel and is a ear blaster.

Lee

· Registered
572 Posts
Much easier to have J.E.S. rebore an old pawn shop find than try to locate an original .356. Enough money left over for a deluxe stock and refinishing. Jesse can also rebore, rechamber in 400J.E.S. 444 Marlin , .307 and a few others. Not counting the Mueller scope, I have about $600 in this .356, and it's a tackdriver.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.