Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post on this site, I was poking around and haven't found a direct answer to my problem/question. So i'm throwing this out to see if anybody knows... Lets start with a Story... or skip to the bottom bullets (pun intended) for the short story.
Okay, so i was looking to purchase my first hunting Rifle about a year and a half ago. I went to look around at some used guns and I saw something I really wanted. After some research on my phone while in the store I walked out with (you know where im going with this by now) a 1951 Winchester 94 (thats Pre64 for those who need a model 94 history lesson) with with a side saddle and scope. a couple small scratches (and drilled reciever for the side saddle.... does this affect the value? I would really like to know..) but very good condition considering the year. walked out of the store 7 days later with the rifle, a case, and a box of 30-30 for $310 (after taxes)......

Short story (still kinda long...) I took the rifle out shooting the following weekend with 2 boxes of 30-30 to adjust the scope..... 35 rounds later..... I finally realized the vertical and horizontal axis were inverted (duh). Got it **** close with the last 5 shots, and ive been shooting it with the scope turned 90 degrees ever since... Anyway My question to you is, Can I get a scope that has the adjuster for the horizontal axis on the left side of the scope?

-what would be the estimated value of this gun?.... ive always wondered why I havent found another shootable pre64 for less than $300. the gun was on sale for $250.
-drilled reciever for the side saddle.... does or would this affect the value?
-Can I get a scope that has the adjuster for the horizontal axis on the left side of the scope?

thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Glad to see you here. You have found a great place.

It is difficult to determine the value of your rifle without pictures. Condition is important and affects the value. Many Winchester Model 94s were drilled and tapped for a side mount for a scope. A collector may prefer to have a rifle in original condition, so it depends.

I am familiar with the scope being turned 90 degrees and then the horizontal (windage) adjustment becomes the vertical (elevation) adjustment. Conversely, the elevation knob changes the windage. I learned to make the necessary adjustments. Not sure if anyone makes a scope with the horizontal adjustment on the left side. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
off topic

How do i post pictures? i sent them to my email but i cant copy/ paste on this reply

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Welcome to the forum !

FYI, the only difference between a scope's windage & elevation turrets is the name - the amount of W&E per gradiation is the same for both turrets.

I've mounted many a plain or multi-x reticle scope with the former elevation turret rotated to the left to act as the windage adjustment turret.

The rotation importantly rotates the old windage turret out of the way of loading and ejection - especially important with a top ejection rifle like your Winchester.

R U sure the receiver was drilled & tapped for that mount ?

I ask because many folks used a side scope mount that was engineered to use existing receiver holes - like the lever stop pin screw hole, and the two small holes in the upper LH rear of receivers after 1952 for mounting a receiver peep sight.

Since your rifle dates to 1951 (B 4 Winchester started the peep sight prep), if whomever mounted the scope mount D/T'd two holes in the same place as the factory later did - no harm, no foul.

The best way to post pictures is to register (free) at a web pic-hosting website, like www.photobucket,com or www.postimage/org then uploading pics from your computer to the host site (ensuring that the pics are resized to an 800 pixel format, suitable for posting.

After that's done, simply "copy" each pic's direct url, and "paste" the direct url in whatever thread or post you're creating, immediately preceeded by

Each pic's url should look like this when you place it in your post:

The pic(s) should propagate when your post is finished/saved.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

By George, you've got it ! ! :D

You're correct, that side mount didn't use available holes, as there's now 4 extra holes in the receiver that the rifle wasn't born with - making it "shooter" value ($300-$400).

You did well, @ $250.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well that's good atleast. im just curious as to why there are no scopes (that i can find) that have the windage setting on the opposite side.... i know i sound like one of those left handed folk who cant operate a pair of scissors, bot i only take the gun out every few months (its been about a year now) shoot it (adjust the scope). than go deer hunting (walk around in the woods and than sit for a while).... my question arises because its a cheap a*s bushnell from korea and I was planning on getting a new scope so thats why i have this question to begin with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts