Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody got one of these? How are they to shoot? I see these around from time to time at really (apparently) reasonable prices...like in the low $300s. Seems like I recall some people on here a couple of years ago complaining about split stocks, etc.

Can't seem to get enough of the big/medium bore lever actions... Is there a cure for this disease? Maybe "buyem' all"?

·
Registered
178 Posts
One of each would be a great idea. I do not have a Winchester, but a Marlin model 444p. The ported barrel keeps muzzle jump down a bit and it is a pleasure to shoot. If you get one I would consider handloading. You can use cast bullets for practice and save the boomers for the hunt, although you must use a few boomers in practice so you'll be ready for the hunt. I believe the Marlin 336 action is a little stronger and I tend to favor them, although I do have a 45 Long Colt mod 94 and it is a great weapon.

If you do not hand load look into a 45-70 as you will find a much greater variety of factory ammunition. Marlin makes a stainless 45-70 guide gun. which is also a great weapon for areas with inclimate weather.

Check out the 450 Marlin as well. Like the triple 4, you should consider handloading if this is your choice. If you stay with a Winchester, you might consider a 45 Long Colt. While it does not have the power of the others mentioned above, you can hot rod it and get in the ballpark. Just work up to the maximum loads carefully.

Once you have been hooked on the LeverGuns, there is no turning back! :)

Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have had a Timber Carbine for several years. It is tons of fun. It is excellent with 240 - 250 - 265 gr bullets but really shines with the 310 gr Lee fngc. They can be pushed to 1800 fps with care. It has to be seated a little shorter than the crimp groove but a Lee crimp die takes care of it. I have an Ashley ghost ring sight on it, some like them some don't. I find it fits with the idea of a short, handy, quick lever action.

I like it very much and would recommend it to you. Plan to use it for hogs this summer.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm getting interested in filling in some of the caliber gaps I've got in the lever gun lineup, one of those being 44. I already own one of the Marlin SS GG's you mention...nice rifle. But I'm ashamed to say that it has had exactly 2 boxes of factory ammo through it, these being the first ones while waiting for the dies and components to arrive from Midway. Dedicated handloaders and lever gunners...forgive me. My biggest complaint about this rifle has to do with the ports. If I had it to do over I might consider one without them. These were just starting to make their way into the gun shows when I bought the GG and chose the ported one instead. The noise level is rather high. How is the Timber Carbine noise-wise? It must be similar in intensity. Of course one shot without hearing protection in the woods might be too bad but my ears are bad enough as it is. And then there is the issue of innocent bystanders...the first time I shot my GG a couple of guys were standing on either side of me. After the first shot they vacated the area, complaining of being hit in the face by "something". Were these Timber Carbines ever made without the ports? I guess a good alternative would be the M444 but I don't see them selling for $300. Is the Outfitter available without ports?

·
Registered
178 Posts
My local gun store now has all the "big bore" Marlins w/o ported barrels. Your comments about the disadvantages are indeed legitimate. However, most of these go for $450 to $550. Have not seen one for less. Good Luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bart-

Just thought I'd let you know that it has been said on the Marlin forums that Marlin will replace the ported barrel with an unported barrel for a fee. I believe it was quoted at $100.00. I can't find the post where it was mentioned, so a call to Marlin might be in order to verify that they will in fact perform this service.

Might be something to consider checking into if the ports bother you that much.

Hope this helps,:)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Paco Kelly has an article or two on the 444s and the Timber Carbine over on www.sixgunner.com. He states that the Winchester Big Bore can withstand higher pressures than the Marlin. Good reading neverless.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I bought a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 when I moved to Alaska in 2000. Quickly discovered I hate it. It's for sale if anyone is interested. Now on to the good stuff. I bought a M-94 Timber Carbine in 2002 and took it hunting - no game, but I love the Timber Carbine! Slightly less power and bullet weight then a .45-70 but no animal will ever know the difference. For me the Marlin handles like a 2X4, while the Win. feels awesome. Of course that's in my hands! Some people preffer the Marlin. I mounted a Lpld Vari-X II in 1x4 power. I like the combo very much.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
I've had mine [timber carbine] for about 2 years now...Actually got it from a board member.
While I have not taken any game as of yet with it, I plan on mounting a RED DOT, such as the Aimpoint or EO Tech, which should function as well as the ghost rings.
It carries well in the wood, and is light enough to go miles without "sore shoulder from the sling syndrome", though most times it's as easily carried at port arms or as all levers carry well, right at the receiver.
I've gotten 1.5" groups on a good day with hand-loads, and most factory stuff will shoot withein 2-3" at 100-150 yards....

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,221 Posts
Cub, I'd think that you would not have any trouble selling that thing in Alaska. What's the going price on a used .45-70 in your area?

·
Registered
362 Posts
In general I don't know - but I know what mine is going to go for because I know how much I paid for all the little "extras"! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts