Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a Winchester 9422XTR that I have never seen and cannot find out any information on other than it was manufactured in 1981. The thing that is unusual is the matte SS finish. It has a 20" barrel and a saddle ring. The serial number is F46XXXX. I would like to know if anyone has seen one of these. I have included a few photos.

Attachments

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,092 Posts
Welcome, that's quite the nice figure on the buttstock. Unless you bought it new, there's endless possibilities for aftermarket surface treatment. Just keep that in mind, there may be no clear answer with the multiple re-organizations that "Winchester" has had. Hope you find the answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This came into my shop for rear sight repair. The current owner is not the original owner and does not know the history of the rifle. All I can say is if it isn't the original finish on the stock and metal parts, who ever did it did an excellent job! Every internal part and all screws are finished the same as the receiver, barrel, and inner/outer mag tube.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,938 Posts
Sticky below discusses why putting your whole serial number isn't wise.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
crs - please reduce the font size in your posts. Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Winchester 9422XTR that I have never seen and cannot find out any information on other than it was manufactured in 1981. The thing that is unusual is the matte SS finish. It has a 20" barrel and a saddle ring. The serial number is F46XXXX. I would like to know if anyone has seen one of these. I have included a few photos.
I don't believe your rifle is an XTR. They came with laminated stocks. Yours appears to be a very high grade of wood. Also, the metal finish is not factory Winchester.

I suspect that this 9422 is a custom job, by a talented Gunsmith, or hobbyist.

Anyway, it is a beautiful firearm. I tend not to get ones this nice. I would probably not shoot it, and that is the problem. I only like to keep firearms that ARE shooters.

·
Registered
138 Posts
XTR simply means "eXTRa" finished. The XTR rifles have a higher finish to both metal and wood parts as compared to the standard non XTR rifles. The laminated stocks were not introduced until1985 or there about. All the XTR rifles prior to 1985 had walnut stocks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts