Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new Winchester Big Bore and I only want to fire lead bullets in it.  Should I fire lap it?  I know nothing about this procedure.  How do I go about it?  I want to achieve the best accuracy possible out of the gun.  Help.

Thanks

Bill

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Bill,

I think you'll find that your rifle will not only shoot cast bullets more accurately, but will do so with far less hassle from leading once the barrel is fire-lapped.  You'll find not only tooling marks in the rifling, but constrictions under the dovetails cut into the barrel for sights... as much as .002" constriction directly under the dovetail!  Fire-lapping will eliminate those constrictions, and thus enhance the performance of the rifle when using alloy bullets.

For complete instructions for making your new BB shoot to its full potential with cast bullets, I would highly recommend our Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide, as it is dovoted entirely to attaining unsurpassed cast bullet performance out of your gun... regardess of where you get your bullets.  Also, the longest chapter in the book details fire-lapping from ground zero through the finished product in a concise, step-by-step proceedural approach.

Here's the link to the book:
<a href="http://www.beartoothbullets.com/book" target='_blank'>http://www.beartoothbullets.com/book</a>​

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask your questions here as you think of them!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marshall, I have about 30 years experience reloading jacketed bullets.  I am finding there is a whole 'nuther different world among the lead bullet fraternity.  

Again, thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
287 Posts
Bill= My Bigbore needs lapping too. A quick
(but not empirical) test would be to run a tightly patched, lightly oiled jag through the bore. Watch for tight spots (increased resistance), and loose spots (the rod will seem to "slip"). Mine, as I said before, well, umm, errr, sucks. I've already bought my Clover paste, and will cast some LEE 250 grain semi wadcutters from pure lead tomorrow. I truly detest the design of these bullets, but they do have a long bore bearing surface. I hope this works as well for me as it has for others. BTW, this rifle shoots jacketed bullets very accurately, but I mainly shoot my homemade stuff...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pourboy,

I just got my rifle and haven't fired a shot through it.  If I can hold off I will go through the fire lapping process before I goof up and fire some jacketed bullets through it.  The I won't have to clean the jacket material out.  

Marshall,

I ordered the book just now.  Looking forward to getting it and diving into a new hobby/sport/way of life. LOL.  Thanks for your help.  I will probably have several questions along the way.  

BTW, my wife will not be writing you  any bad mail.  She encouraged me to buy this rifle.  She has always been supportive of my shooting sports.  I guess this will make gun number thirty I have locked away in the closet.  The Lord sure did smile down on this poor Okie boy 35 years ago when He sent her my way.  I guess I'll have to keep her don't ja know.

Thanks again.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts