Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I have a question.

I bought a Winchester Classic FWT in 6.5x55 that was advertised as new in box about a 10 months ago now. I've had a nagging feeling about the bolt material/construction and finally figured I'd post on it (I haven't shot it yet, still has the hang tags).

The extractor claw and the entire piece has sort of a plastic feeling to it. It was blued before I received it and in hunting online I've found at least one example of a blued one and one unblued, both in 6.5x55 in the classic line.

The OEM Winchester part was metal, correct? Were they all standardly blued or left shiny? Should I be concerned about the non-metallic feel it has to it (I haven't disassembled the bolt, figured I'd post here first) or is this common to the line?

The rifle is in otherwise perfect, NIB condition, which would suggest this was indeed OEM.

Here is a link to how mine looks (not mine)

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory---dundee---winchester---1790942-win70clscfwt-dun.shtml

And how another one looks from gunbroker

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/184967000/184967858/pix312605218.jpg

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I'm trying to imagine how a piece of plastic could be used in the firing mechanism of a powerful center-fire rifle and survive more than one or two shots. Unless someone went to a great deal of trouble to rip you off, I'd say your extractor was blued from the factory. This doesn't sound like a gun you're planning to shoot, let alone hunt with, but from a hunter's perspective, the less shiny moving parts, the better. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to imagine how a piece of plastic could be used in the firing mechanism of a powerful center-fire rifle and survive more than one or two shots. Unless someone went to a great deal of trouble to rip you off, I'd say your extractor was blued from the factory. This doesn't sound like a gun you're planning to shoot, let alone hunt with, but from a hunter's perspective, the less shiny moving parts, the better. :)
Yeah, it just doesn't feel anywhere near as substantial as on my mausers.

I know it's metal, magnets stick, but it still feels 'plasticy' and unsubstantial by comparison.

And yes: I DO certainly plan on shooting and using. Just work, family, kids... you know how it goes. Plus I've been really picking about sorting out what to do with the mount, rings and scope (though mainly the family/work and not the browsing for a good setup).

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar 'unsubstantial' feeling on it.

Thanks guys for the responses!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,735 Posts
A claw extractor isn't a big hunk of solid metal. It is a long thin piece of spring(y) steel. Otherwise it won't survive the job it has. Has to be tough, hard, yet flexible.

I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like a nice rifle. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
No.

I'll bet it's plastic. Better not shoot it. Probably unsafe.

I'll give you $100 for it. :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
No.

I'll bet it's plastic. Better not shoot it. Probably unsafe.

I'll give you $100 for it. :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D
That was cold!
I found one of the 6.5x55's in the Model 70 sporter at Cabelas a few years ago. It was on their used gun section but looked new so I bought it and made KDUB happy. It shoots great. I'd just shoot it and not worry about it.

Attachments

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,735 Posts
That was cold!
I found one of the 6.5x55's in the Model 70 sporter at Cabelas a few years ago. It was on their used gun section but looked new so I bought it and made KDUB happy. It shoots great. I'd just shoot it and not worry about it.
That's a push-feed, those aren't any good. Give it to me and I'll toss it out in the middle of the Goat lake for you... promise! ;)

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I fully agree with the above posting. Without CRF it's utterly useless. Imagine how embarrassing it would be to have a wounded cape buffalo charge you and as you held the rifle upside-down to bolt in a fresh shell, the darn shell fell clear out of the rifle!:eek: Why that cape buffalo would prolly just stop and fall over laughing at such a dire predicament you'd gotten yourself into with that unworthy PF 6.5x55. You'd better send it off, pronto!!;)

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Cape Buffalo...with a Swede!?! :eek:

I suppose if I was ever in a dangerous game situation, I would be comforted by the controlled feed bolt, but for most of the shooting I do (from a bench) it's just a hassle having to load from the magazine.

·
Banned
397 Posts
I guess the boys are telling you that you are being too picky. You
bought yourself an excellent gun in a fine caliber. Be happy and
shoot the H--- out of it.

Zeke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts