Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland

I have a confession ! I've never fired a Winchester rifle ! one of the most famous of all gun manufacturers. So perhaps its time i got me  one ?

I have been looking at the Winchester legacy with its long 24 " barrel, i figure with peep sights it would be a lovely Deer rifle.

I reckon i will go for .30-30 although i did fancy it in .357 but 2450 f.p.s our legal requirement for deer i think would be to difficult to reach ?

Can any one suggest the best peep sight for this gun ? Williams ? Lyman ? or other ? can these be fitted ?

What is the general opinion of this model ? Would sure like to hear from any owners beter still deer hunters.

Regards Englander

·
Registered
107 Posts
Englander,

You really haven't owned a rifle until you have had at least one good levergun!  The Winchester M94 Legacy is a good looking modern levergun.  Williams makes a receiver mounted peepsight for the angle eject models (such as the Legacy), according to my Brownells catalog it is model number FP-94SE, retailing at $63.85 US dollars.

Lyman also offers a receiver sight for the angle eject M94's, it is model #66LA - you MAY have to have the receiver drilled and tapped for the Lyman (I am not sure if the Legacy is tapped on the receiver side for the Lyman).  I have both brands of sights on various rifles/carbines and like them both.

Then there is always the tang sights as made by Marbles, Lyman and Smith Enterprises.

One question for you; how are you going to get 2450 fps out of the M94?  Most deer loads are mfgd with 150 or 170 grain bullets and are in the 2300fps and 2100fps range respectively with MAX reloads - (of course they will kill a deer plenty dead).  Pushing the velocity envelope in a M94 will stretch the action and loosen the bolt.

Odessa

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Odessa

Well i need to prove to the police that a gun is capable of reaching 2450 f.p.s i think that 130 gn or 110 gn can acheive this.

I intend to use cast bullets these do not have to be registered with the police ( unlike jacketed bullets) so bullet weight and load are up to my discretion .

If i drive about 80 miles into England there are no velocity requirement and of course i shall only use my 170 gn cast bullets over the border !

I fancy the Williams sight for this rifle.

Regards Englander

·
Registered
20 Posts
Englander, go to the Winchester ammo site and check out their hot 30-30 "Supreme" load, I believe it will get to 2400 fps + with 150 grain.

The Legacy is nice, they also produced a less expensive 24" barreled model with black plastic stocks, the "Black Shadow".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Englander,

I have this loading data from M.L. McPherson's "Metallic Cartridge Reloading"(please double check these figures).

30/30 Winchester
125-130 grain bullet.........

H322
Min: 35 grains MV=2484
Max:37 grains MV=2663
Max Pressure: 37,600Cup

H4198
Min: 29 grains MV 2427
Max: 31 grains MV 2589
Max Pressure: 37,600 CUP

He states these loads have a startling performance when used on "Smaller Species of Deer and Various Vermin and Predators", reserving the 150's for bigger Mule Deer sized game.  I sure recommend the Mod. 94 Winchester...it is perfection in terms of balance and pointing.  My latest 94(the 20" Big Bore)was made in early 1992 and is high quality.  I am not sure how their latest rifles stack up but imagine you couldn't go too wrong there.  Good luck and hope this helps-Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Englander,
I'm loading 110 spire point Hornaday's WELL over 2800 fps and 130 Speers at over 2600. I hesitate to give specific data because I have not pressure tested this with my Oehler 48 but all looks well after a hundred rounds or so. You can get some idea by reading Paco Kelley on sixgunner.com in the archive section. Your goals appear to be easily within reach. Needless to say, these bullets are single loaded into the chamber by hand and should not be used in a tube magazing.
My gun is a 24" Legacy. It came with a bent barrel that would shoot 1" at 100 yards with Win or Rem factory 150's ar 170's but the group was 2 1/2' high and just as far to the right with the elevation corrected all the way down on the rear sight. It was sent in and the barrel was replaced. (No complaints with the service, just that it was needed.) The gun still prints the light bullets 8" high at 100 yards. These are what I intended to shoot originally since I bought this gun for coyotes. It shoots 150 and 170 gr. bullets well within spec so I really can't tell them I'm not satisfied that the gun won't shoot my handloads.
Has anyone else shot one of these with the light bullets? I'd like to see if I'm the only one that can't get the group on target with 110gr bullets. I can't find a taller front sight. I may need a different sight set but I'm afraid to dive in and find that I run out of adjustment with a new  expensive setup just as I did with the original set. any help from knowlegable persons would be appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts