Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I'm seeking some information regarding magazine's for the Winchester [U.S.R.A.C.] (M-70) Classic Sporter . (C.R.F.)300 Win. Mag. There seems to be a great many knowledgeable people within the forum, so I'll present the question here:

1.) I would like to know if the (E) magazine is the same as the (EC) magazine for the aforesaid rifle. The rifle initially was fitted with an (E) magazine, as new. Never any functioning problems with the (E), although there have been some instances or reports indicating problems. Some consider the D.B.M. (EC) a modified version. If any could expand upon this issue, it would truly be appreciated. All replies are welcome.

Enclosed also are the specifics as listed by Midwest Gunworks - "They make mention as {E} Box being push feed. The [E] magazine was originally built with my rifle (.300 Win. mag.) > 'Never had any problems'.
*Contacted Winchester and Midwest Gunworks, and could not receive any type of factual confirmation.

This is in regard to a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter (DBM) [U.S.R.A.C.], chambered in .300 Win. Mag. This rifle was built specifically for me by Victor Mancera (Winchester Arms) at the New Haven plant in CT. Some work may have been given to New York.

* Additional Information posted by other websites: Winchester Model 70 DBM Magazine (EC)

Description: Winchester Model 70 DBM Magazine (EC). The magazines stamped EC will fit the DBM model rifles that have a "claw" or control round feed extractor in .7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win. Mag only. This cannot be correct!

Enclosed are some pictures.

http://i63.tinypic.com/fd6b8w.
http://i64.tinypic.com/111tero.
http://i66.tinypic.com/qstv8k.png

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know almost nothing about the post 64 PF Model 70 myself, apparently there were PF and hybrid PF-CRF models, here is some more info Winchester Post 64 Model 70 Info but the situation was confused by Olin closing down and then USRA taking over and then eventually Browning and in the process many records of who did what when have been lost.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know almost nothing about the post 64 PF Model 70 myself, apparently there were PF and hybrid PF-CRF models, here is some more info Winchester Post 64 Model 70 Info but the situation was confused by Olin closing down and then USRA taking over and then eventually Browning and in the process many records of who did what when have been lost.
'Don't forget' > CRF

·
Registered
292 Posts
Did they have CRF models with removable magazine boxes back then? I have two CRF M70’s but they are current models with steel floorplates/trigger guards so I’m not much use to you…sorry.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
I must say I've never seen or heard of a detachable box mag for a M-70 and had no idea there was such a thing.

IS your rifle CRF or push feed? I can see where the lips might be different between them.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Interesting list. I looked at my first new 1965 Model 70 while in Korea and promptly struck them off my list, but I've rebarreled a bunch of them.

What are the abbreviations and figure is the purple windows? ANd, where can I find rare Model 70s at that price??

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no idea what the abbreviations denote. Naturally, I thought you may have some insight to those specifications. The model I have was 'only' produced in 1994 (DBM) .300 Win Mag. Winchester M-70 (3rd Version) is considered the final stages of U.S.R.A.C, as what I have.

M-70 DBM .300 Win. Mag. valued at $2286.00. Aside from triviality, I'm still seeking an answer from someone. This research has been ongoing for at least a year. Winchester Collector's forum looked at the thesis and not any responded( nearly 300 views). A few other website forums have not answered as well. Total views about 700.

* You can't find them, one must acquire them.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
I'm very familiar with the finest collection of M-70s in private hands and have handled a brand new 35Rem Carbine, 7.65 Argentine and 9x57 mausers with the hanging tags. If somebody told him his 22 Hornet Target could be bought anywhere for $712 I'm sure we'd both buy a hundred at that price. But, he'd have a stroke!! That gun is worth upwards of $12K!

Good luck on your quest but it seems like trying to run down details on a specific truck tire to me. The factories churn them out using people that don't even shoot.

I think you'd have to subpoena the process records and track the minute changes through the paperwork and examination of the gun and correlating the physical gun with the records made at the time. That has been done with other makes but it's VERY labor intensive work.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I believe we discussed this before or maybe another forum. To move to the discovery process is useless. There was a fire (alleged) at Winchester at about the time of transferring the company documents. All information has "supposedly" been lost. There is 'nothing' to subpoena.

*Again, I thought with all the experts here, one could surely provide an answer. Apparently, I 'm wrong again. I most certainly agree with your first paragraph. Thank you very much for your assistance.

* I'm still waiting for an answer from Winchester on the finish of my .270 Winchester Featherweight (410 or 416). Winchester stated they did not use 416R.

* One of our family members was a bird Colonel in the Air Force. He flew red light missions over Korea. If I provide his name, would you possibly know him?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts