Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in some posts from late 2001 that Winchester had announced the .480 Ruger chambering in the M-94.  I've checked on several distributors websites and don't see them listed.  Looks like it would be ideal in a Levergun.  

Does anybody know when they will be available?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I spoke with USRAC at EOT, and the 480 project has been scrapped. He said the initial response was so low, they couldn't justify going any farther with the project.

Bummer!

Adios
Juan Tedman

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Juan-

Thanks for the information.  I guess it's just a sign of the times; although I'd love to know who they polled in regards to this project.  Probably a bunch of guys who had put in back orders for a new short magnum.  Kinda hard for me to be understanding towards a company that brags that their best selling product of all time has "killed more deer than any other rifle, period" but then they only want to keep it on in 1 or 2 chamberings.

I've always loved my Winchesters, but it looks like they are going to have to continue learning the hard way while Marlin continues to leave them in the dust!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Before I place any validity in that Winchester employee's explanation, I'd find out how Ruger is doing with their .480 sales.  I can't imagine leading the Winchester buying public on with a M94 in .480 Ruger after spending resources in the development phase and then not even offering it on a limited basis.  I'm wondering if there weren't safety issues that prevented offering the .480 to the public... that is a pretty fat cartridge for the M94 ya know.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forty Four-

You do make a valid point.  I guess time will tell if it is ever released.

One other interesting point, I was on the Marlin Talk forum the other day checking to see if Marlin was going to offer a .480 and the same exact reason was being given as to why Marlin has not introduced this caliber.

Guess I'll be patient for a while and see what comes down the pike.  In the mean time I'll also be considering the M-92 Puma in .454 Casull that Legacy Sports Intl. is advertising.

If anyone else has more info on the Winchester or Marlin .480's as well as the Puma .454 I'd sure appreciate an update.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A .454 in the M92 would probably be cool, but I would think the overall cartridge length restrictions of the M92 would prevent getting the most out of heavy weight cast bullets.  Perhaps the boys at Winchester will get smart and bring out a M94 "Fatsides" in .454 some day... which might give Marlin's Guide gun a run for the money.  Heck, I'd buy one!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forty-Four, you hit the nail right on the head!  The Big-Bore action would probably be the best bet for the .454.

I hate to sound sarcastic, but I'm going to at this point anyway; I doubt that Winchester is listening.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a feeling that the short magnum craze is dictating a lot of R&D decisions right now.

Oh well, it doesn't hurt to dream a little I guess.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't think the M-94 would hold up to full .480 loads. I have heard from other people about problems developing with their M-94 Big Boars when shooting full loads.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I too have been interested in one of the "super" handgun rounds in a little levergun, so I inspected the Puma at the NRA Convention in Reno. The Puma is neither flashy nor classy but appears to be a good solid little working gun, and they say that it will ship in June. Legacy's reps said that they had 2,800 rounds through one plus a proof load at 78,000. They were not clear whether this proof was psi or cup. I also spoke with the Freedom Arms reps, and they expressed doubt that the little levergun could stand a steady diet of full power loads. FA worked with Winchester, they said, to introduce a M94BB in .454 but both firms gave up after not being able to cost effectively solve the durability issues. The .480 may work better and the Puma may surprise the FA folks -- I hope so.
Fireplug

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info Fireplug!

Sounds like the .454 Puma is definately worth looking into.  Glad to know they'll be shipping soon.  It's safe to say that they've already sold one to me, they just don't know it yet.

Sounds like it's exactly what it should be:  nice, functional and without all the glitz; exactly what a levergun should be.

And as for whether or not it will stand up I guess we'll have to see.  I don't see any reason to hotrod it all the time anyway.  I'd rather let the bullets weight carry it through.  I imagine a 325 grn slug has enough oomph to take care of anything we'd be likely to shoot with the Puma .454.

Now if I can just locate a good peep site for this carbine.  Does anybody know if Williams or Ashley Outdoors makes one?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts