Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local gunshop is holding for me a Win. M70 push-feed action .30/06. It's unfired, matte blued w/ synthetic stock (blind mag.), "Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation 2001" on the barrel.
Just looking for opinions on these push-feed actions - their reliability/suitability for hunting.
I went there to look into buying a Tikka T3 Lite, but this Winny caught my eye, very lightweight, and the difference in price could pay for a good set of rings and mounts. I don't think I can 'warm up' to the plastic trigger guard on the Tikka.
Think I am on the right track?

Thanks.
Jeff

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
My local gunshop is holding for me a Win. M70 push-feed action .30/06. It's unfired, matte blued w/ synthetic stock (blind mag.), "Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation 2001" on the barrel.
Just looking for opinions on these push-feed actions - their reliability/suitability for hunting.
I went there to look into buying a Tikka T3 Lite, but this Winny caught my eye, very lightweight, and the difference in price could pay for a good set of rings and mounts. I don't think I can 'warm up' to the plastic trigger guard on the Tikka.
Think I am on the right track?

Thanks.
Jeff
I think you are absolutely on the right track. I own several M70s and have two push feed models among them. The bolts are smooth and function very well and my 1966 M70 in '06 is a great shooter. I'm a big fan of M70s and there are no flies on a push feed model, IMO. For the record, I feel the same way about the Tikka T3. I've owned Two Tikkas, one a T3 SS in .300WSM that was a great shooter, but I simply did not like the synthetic magazine and other parts and it no longer lives here. If you like the feel and look of that M70, simply go with it.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
The push feed Winchesters were just as good as any other push feed designs for quality and materials. In fact, CRF is probably as much marketing hype, as it is an asset.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Mine has never failed in any way. Mind you, I have not yet had any circumstances that required me to try feeding a cartridge from the magazine while I was upside down. I guess my life is just not exciting enough. ;)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I love controlled-feed rifles, but even I will admit that a good pushfeed is just as good as any CRF under all practical considerations. And the Model 70 pushfeed is one of the best. In fact, just about my favorite bolt action rifle is a carbine-ized Ted Williams Model 53, which is nothing but a post-'64 Model 70 pushfeed.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The T3 Tikka is a great rifle, takes some getting used to the plastic but they are as tough as any other gun you can find-that being said the M70 is one of the best rifles money can buy. Nothing wrong with the push feed models. If you rack the bolt fast you can cycle a push feed action upside down, you can double feed a controlled feed action and jam it if you try.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,967 Posts
Why would anyone want to cycle a bolt action upside down? :confused: :eek: :D

·
Registered
11,952 Posts
Nothing wrong with the push feed Winchester. To me they lack to appeal of the CRF, but that's just me instead of a fault with the post '64.

BSN you must have more tallent than me.... I've never had a double feed with a CRF. Worst case seneniro is not being aggressive enough when ejecting thus leaving the spent case laying in the port. I guess if a guy tries hard enough, a person can get any machine to malfunction.

·
Banned
605 Posts
I've a M70 push feed and its the best purchase I've ever made with a rifle. Mine is 7mm Rem Magnum though. I like everything about it. It's super accurate, totally reliable. Bought mine in 1982, out in Colorado. I have had a few CRF's also. The push feed is smoother. I have never double loaded, even in the heat of battle (er, shooting at game). Mine has maintained its zero since 1982 with one of the old Redfield 3-9's. I've also owned Rugers and Remington centerfires. For smoothness and functionality, this one is the best I've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I don't think Win catalogs that rifle anymore, but back then it was called the Shadow. Now they have the 'Ultimate Shadow', which is CRF, and the stock has more 'bling' to it.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535114

My neighbor bought your exact rifle from one of the RMEF sponsor winners, except that it's chambered in 270 WSM. He loves that rifle, and has plugged several deer and elk with it. It is very light and has a good feel to it.

I have a mid-70's Mod 70 XTR in 25-06, and it is a great rifle. I don't think you'll have any regrets.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I don;t have any controlled-round feed rifles, but I want one! All mine are push-feed, and I have yet to experience a problem. I really like the WInchester M70 rifles better than the 2 or 3 Tikkas I've fondled.

If that's the rifle and caliber you want, I'd say stop looking - you're on the right track.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
I have not yet had any circumstances that required me to try feeding a cartridge from the magazine while I was upside down. I guess my life is just not exciting enough. ;)
Now that was funny :D

I have used CRF and Non-CRF bolt rifles all my life. The only ones that were ever a problem were CRF designs.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a high power target rifle in .308 built on a 80's Model 70 XTR push feed action. The action is very slick and dead reliable. I have never had any missfeeds or jams with it whether single loaded or fed from the magazine in the rapid fire stages.

Another thought in favor of the push feed action is that the enclosed bolt face offers more case head support in the rare event of a blown case. In addition, the push feed receivers have a thicker receiver ring wall thickness since there is no clearance cut for a claw extractor.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The push feed Winchesters were just as good as any other push feed designs for quality and materials. In fact, CRF is probably as much marketing hype, as it is an asset.

+2.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts