Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up 5 # Winchester Magnum Rifle powder, does anyone have any reloading data for the 30/06 using this powder?

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
It was another very slow Ball powder that didn't work out and was discontinued something like ten years ago. I think it was only sold for two or three years.

With all due caution, you could work up loads using data for their current slow Ball powder, 780. Start loads ought to be safe; just compare the velocity you get with that predicted for 780 to see where your MRP stands. Then work up accordingly. It probably is too slow for the 30-06, but that means you might not be able to get an unsafe amount of it into a case.

·
Banned
668 Posts
I still have about 16# of WMR that I use in my 280 Rem AI and 154 grain Interbonds. The #14 Winchester Reloading Manual only has WMR 30-06 loads for 200 and 220 grain bullets, suggesting it is a bit slow in the 30-06 with lighter bullets. The new Winchester Supreme 780 is similar to WMR and the Hodgdon reloading site shows 30-06 loads for it for 180+ grain bullets. I found in my 280 Rem AI that Supreme 780 is probably a touch faster than WMR, as I reached velocities with Supreme 780 I had achieved with WMR with more powder. So to be clear it took less powder with Supreme 780 than WMR to achieve the same velocities. However, I also noticed that I could get significantly more velocity from Supreme 780 before seeing primers begin to flatten or loose primer pockets than with WMR. Hence, when I finally switch over it is likely I will be using a Supreme 780 load that gives me 3,000 fps as opposed to the 2,950 fps I was getting with WMR.

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again many thanks to all of you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts