Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone wondering if it can be done!

Before anyone screams - it was a free rifle, a 1943 Smith-Corona given to me by a friend that had previously drilled & tapped and welded that bolt knob on the N.S. bolt and hacked the knob off the firing pin, and, horror of all horrors, cut the barrel down to 18.5" (no fricken clue what they could have been thinking).

I installed a Timney trigger and fitted the Winchester shroud and safety and I have a brand new 26" Douglas barrel in 30-06 Ackley Improved Remington Varmint contour waiting to be installed - I am still up in the air on what stock to buy but that plastic one will happily be flung into the trash heap.

Once all the work is finished it will get a DuraCoat job and it will look beautiful.

The resurection of the Classic American hunting rifle!

·
Banned
604 Posts
Yep! I've got an old 1903 Springfield and I know it can be done. Several shops are making them available. Have NO idea how much it costs to install on my bolt though. Wish I did. I've only had this rifle since 1963.

·
Banned
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, while I respect high quality work regardless of the field, I did mine myself with a few simple tools and lots of care... and no way am I paying anyone any "Hollywood Prices" to do anything just because of lots of hype, superstition, and implied voodoo about closely guarded secrets... In my humble opinion, America needs to get back to people doing good work for fair prices and not thinking they deserve to get paid like Donald Trump just because they do nice work, and people need to stop patronizing businesses that charge over the top prices for hype.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Karl, I am beyond impressed with what you've done, there! At the risk of being solicitous, would you consider repeating that process, for a labor fee? That rear bolt shroud appears to have an integral dovetail...is that just my eyes playing tricks on me?

·
Banned
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Karl, I am beyond impressed with what you've done, there! At the risk of being solicitous, would you consider repeating that process, for a labor fee? That rear bolt shroud appears to have an integral dovetail...is that just my eyes playing tricks on me?
I am humbled by your request broom_jm, but I'm pretty sure you have to have an FFL in order to do that kind of work on other people's rifles, and I KNOW you have to have one to ship firearms.

It was actually very easy to do - much easier than I ever thought it would be, in fact. If you read my previous post it might help.

Maybe I will try to write a step-by-step of what I did and how I fitted the parts - and I will take a photo of the Winchester firing pin so folks can see just how roughly the parts were fitted in the Winchester rifle.

Thank you,

Karl

PS. I don't see a dovetail anywhere???

·
Banned
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That scope base was on the rifle when it was given to me. I am no expert by any means but from what I have seen all 03A3 have the "dovetail" on the reciever bridge. That is where the factory rear sight used to be and the scope base has the notch in it.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Well I'll be, Karl...I just went and pulled my 03A3 out of the closet and darned if it doesn't have the same setup! I just never noticed it because the S&K mount on my gun covers that entire section of the receiver, so I didn't "see" the dovetail. My apologies for the confusion! :D

·
Banned
604 Posts
Karl, I, for another, would LOVE it if you could post the procedure you used. I would love to make my Springfield into one with a M70-type safety. I've had a few M70's and have always appreciated their set up. I have one in my safe now. Yeah, be as elaborate as you can. And thank you.

·
Banned
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As soon as I get the firing pin finished and everything working just right I will post a synopsis.

·
Banned
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Whew... after many hours in front of a surface plate measuring the existing Springfield firing pin/cocking piece, and accurately locating the firing pin in the fired, bolt open, and bolt cocked positions, and then drawing everything in AutoCAD and comparing everything with the safety location and internal geometry of the Winchester shroud (and checking the parts and drawings about 50-times each, but that's no guarantee :p) it became obvious that a new firing pin would be needed if I wanted to avoid welding up and reshaping the stock pin, so here is what I drew up in SolidWorks.

I ordered a piece of Titanium for the rod ($40 fricken bucks) - now all I have to do is turn the rod and make the cocking piece and cross my fingers :p

The factory pin has about .600" lock travel and the geometry for my pin/cocking piece is designed to provide .300". The Winchester has .288 so I should have enough of a cushion for hand fitting the parts once I get everything finished and installed. The lock time should be a vast improvement especially with the Titanium rod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.