Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aquired one of these in 308 Win and am looking for any info/tidbits you all might have. It looks to me like it has locking lugs similar to a bolt gun. How does it stack up against other leveractions and bolt guns?

TIA

·
Registered
513 Posts
twillis - You've got a superb rifle there. I cherish mine, also a .308, and would never part with it. I've shot a boatload of deer with it. I won't compare it to other rifles, because I can't do so in an unbiased manner.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Winchester M88

I've had all 4 and still have 2 in 284Win and 358Win.I sold the 308win and 243Win in Win M88.So i could buy my Sako Finnwolfs in 308 and 243.

(1) With their longer than standard 22in barrels while most levers have 20in(Finnwolfs have 23in).Hence better velocity,energy,balance and site radius.

(2)Their one piece stock for superior accuracy.Instead of 2 piece like most levers.

(3)Their clip fed mag for spitzer bullets.Unlike tube fed levers,with flat or round nosed bullets,for poor down range capabilities.

(4)They are just a bolt action operated by a lever,hence have all the abilities and qualities of a bolt.

(5)With the lighter and handier qualities of a lever,with their short throw lever and fast follow up shots without having to take gun down from your face.Unlike most levers where bolt comes out to push back hammer.

(6) Always come drilled and tapped for scopes.

(7)Comes in hot calibers loaded to 60,000psi +.Way beyond the abilities of most other levers.

(8) In the world of levers,they the Winchester M88 and Sako Finnwolf stand allow as the true kings of the lever action world.MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT!!!! Enforcer

·
Registered
513 Posts
You nailed it Enforcer. I wish I had one in .358, too.

I also use a Marlin Guide Gun quite a bit. I very much like it, and it really serves my purpose. But to compare the two would be like comparing Faith Hill to Hillary Clinton. I have to make a conscientious effort to make the Marlin perform in the field; the 88 knows before I do just what to do, or so it seems!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts