Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a model 94 in 38-55 WCF today with a serial number that places date of manufacture in 1926.  This rifle is in outstanding condition with all of the bluing on the receiver and all of the finish remaining on the wood.  The only thing that I could discern that would effect it's value is that the barrel appears to have replaced as the blue is slightly off-colored and the muzzle has a square crown.  Rifling is like new and supports that as well.  Barrel length is 24".

What do you suppose this would be worth paying for as a shooter?  Asking price is &#36400.

·
Registered
510 Posts
   Bart,
        Does this rifle have a round or oct. bbl? Oct. bbls typically have a square crown. Also, does the bbl have the correct markings, and are they clearly readable? At that late date the bbl should be marked nickle steel for smokeless powder. At any rate 400 bucks is a good price for a 38-55 shooter. I would certainly go for it. Best luck.
                                         Mike

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy who has this for sale bought it in it's current condition.  Because of the square crown we had tossed around the idea that maybe it was originally octagonal and turned down round, but I have no idea whether this was a common practice or not.  I don't remember exactly how the barrel was marked but it was marked with 38-55 Win.  Don't recall whether the Nickel Steel designation from that era was present or not.  Whatever the case, I went there to pick up another 38-55 that I had bought from him last week and he brought this one out.  Now I've got the hots for this one too!  What's a wife to do?!

·
Banned
8 Posts
I Recently Purchased A 1894 In 38-55 Long Rifle W/ Sq. Crown Made 1897 And Beleive It To Be All Orginal, In My Part Of The Usa(maine) They Go For More Money Too And Does Not Say Nickel On The Barrel.colt45acp

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, about a week after I left this gent's house he sold his whole collection to one guy, including the '94. I've kicked myself numerous times now for not only picking up that one but several others he had. The day I saw the Subject '94 I went there specifically to pick up a Chief Crazy Horse '94 in 38-55 and that's the one I left with. No longer own that one. Couldn't get it to shoot. Wish I'd gone the other way now. Oh well, I did get several of the nicer pieces out of that collection so I can't complain (too much).

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
I know it would not be an antique or worth as much as the Winnie, but there is always the Marlin 336CB in 38-55.

I own one, it shoots like a dream!

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Time to confess....the 38/55 I hunt with is a modern rifle...one of the "ledgendary Frontiersman" commemortives (that commerate nothing specific). Was sitting in the used gun section, sandwitched between a dozen used 30-30's, and priced about the same as all the others.

Looks 100% from the left side...but the preious onwer had hung it on the wall with the right side facing the wall. Pure decoration...the man wasn't a shooter at all, just wanted something as a decorator. Roof leaked...wall wet...silver plate bubbled on the right side...unfired rifle for sale at less than $200.

(Once worked at a used book store...a big one downtown...we'd sell books by the YARD. Leather bound being more expensive. Didn't matter what books or even if they were in a language that the home owner could read, just that decorators just wanted so many feet of books to fill bookcases for people with more money than taste. Some of the commerative rifles were sold for the same use...just to decorate.)

Someday I'll have the reciever stripped and the whole thing refinished...but I'll get some more use out of the nearly perfect blue and wood finish before that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ribbonstone,

How does it shoot? I tried all different combinations of bullets and powders but never could do any better than about 3" at 50 yd. Others wouldn't even stay on paper at that range. The best load I found was a Mt Baldy 300 gr WLN over some AA5744. I paid a little more for mine than you did. At $400 dollars, unfired, it was a good deal for as a shooter. I shot it 117 times and sold it for a $50 profit.

A big problem I found with this rifle was that it wouldn't chamber a handload built on 38-55 cases if you used the correctly sized bullet (.380) due to the chamber being too tight. I had to use 30-30 cases just to be able to chamber one. I've heard others complain about this problem.

The guy I got this from had commemoratives coming out his ears...Oliver Winchester, Legendary Lawman, NRA Centenial, Buffalo Bill, Golden Spike, and the CCH, all NIB. Some of these he had more than one of. Why he gave me such a good deal on the CCH I don't know...must have liked me or something. I got into the game too late to get a chance at the John Wayne Comm.

I personally see nothing wrong with using one of these for their intended purpose. They are pretty dressy for carrying in the woods but if you don't care why should anyone else?

·
Banned
8 Posts
Shooting The 38-55

Two Weeks Ago I Asked About Jacket Bullets In My Old 1894 And My Suspicius Were Confirmed. But Not Having Any Lead Loads To Shoot Yet I Firgured I Try Just 3 Factory Jacketed At 50 Yards About 5 Inches High Dead Center The Next 2 At 100 Yards Were Touching Dead Center But 4 Inches To The Right. I've Since Ordered Dies,brass,and 245 Grn Lead From Meister Bullets Every Thing Ready Except The Powder Charge And Seating The Bullet. Also Purchased Some Reman From Midway To Try. After I Have Sometime At The Range I'll Pass On The Info About Accuracy And Load Data. And Anyone With Load Recipes To Share Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks Matt

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
colt45acp said:
Two Weeks Ago I Asked About Jacket Bullets In My Old 1894 And My Suspicius Were Confirmed. But Not Having Any Lead Loads To Shoot Yet I Firgured I Try Just 3 Factory Jacketed At 50 Yards About 5 Inches High Dead Center The Next 2 At 100 Yards Were Touching Dead Center But 4 Inches To The Right. I've Since Ordered Dies,brass,and 245 Grn Lead From Meister Bullets Every Thing Ready Except The Powder Charge And Seating The Bullet. Also Purchased Some Reman From Midway To Try. After I Have Sometime At The Range I'll Pass On The Info About Accuracy And Load Data. And Anyone With Load Recipes To Share Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks Matt
Loads are used in a Marlin 336 CB with 24" bbl.
. 38-55 Winchester Center Fire
Bullet weight. & type. Powder type. Powder charge. OAL.
Boer Bullets 220gr. H4198 no load yet
Barnes X 220gr. IMR 3031 34gr.1800fps
Barnes X 250gr. H322 33gr.1800-fps
BTB 255gr. H4895 35gr. 1729fps
BTB 255gr. H4198 24gr. 1400fps
Cast Perf. 265gr. GC H4198 26gr. 1400fps/app
Cast Perf. 265gr. GC H4895 32 to 34gr.

****These loads are for reference only and may not work in your rifle***** as with all loads, reduce by 10% and work up****

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bart, that 94 may have had it's barrel cut or been a "special," standard barrel length on the 1894 was 26."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts