Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Winchester Model 53 at a GunShow over the weekend, it's in great shape but after cleaning it up I have come up with a question...

There is no serial number where the serial number should be???? From all of the pictures I've seen of other Model 53's the serial numbers are struck into the bottom of the receiver just below the forearm and they are fairly deep.

The one I have doesn't have anything???? All of the other markings are correct, the wood is decent and the metal has turned to a nice brown... There is a small number underlined number 26 on the flat part right next to the lever, but that's not the serial number

What do I have????

Smitty

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I have a Model 92 in 25-20WCF which has never been reblued and the serial no. is very lightly stamped.
I have a Marlin Model62 which is part of the early run and they were inadvertently let out of the factory without an s/n.
Some Winchesters were intended for export and I believe many of these were not serialized but named for the importer – “Daisy” etc.
What do the markings on the barrel and the top tang look like?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The barrel is very clearly stamped

-Model 53 - WINCHESTER - NICKEL STEEL - 32W.C.F. -
TRADE MARK

The tang is stamped:

WINCHESTER
---- TRADE MARK -----
----MADE IN U.S.A.---

Which agrees with all of the pictures I can find of a Model 53.

The forearm and the receiver aren't worn down in that area and the rest of the stampings are faily crisp.

Maybe they just "missed" this one, or maybe it left the factory in somebody's lunchbox in pieces....

Smitty

·
Banned
605 Posts
Smitty ............ So THATS what happened to it. Huh! The barrel I taped to my leg. I like a BIG lunch, hence, the BIG lunch box. Maybe it IS #26, huh?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen pictures of serial numbers and the 26 isn't the same size, font, or location, it's almost like an inspector stamp or a p/n next to the lever...

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
You have either a rifle that's had it's SN removed, or one that left the factory before it got numbered - most likely a "lunch pail" gun that went out in parts.

It's not the first, and probably won't be the last - given human nature.

The "26", on the forward flat of the lower tang just ahead of the lever is a fitter's marking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts