Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,
I was thinking of purchasing a Model 70 and wanted any thoughts on this rifle. Also does anyone have a good load for this gun or place to start.

Thanks MNTMANID

Sorry there leadbutt.

I am looking at a Winchester Model 70 Classic in a 30-06 cal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a Winchester model 70 push feed in 22-250, and think it is the nicest rifle I have handled yet. I have had Remingtons and Savages, and much prefer the Winchester. You could do a lot worse than the Winchester, and the 30-06 is a top notch caliber.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Hi, I have had a push-feed M70 in .30-06 for a number of years. Unfortunately I won't be a lot of help on loads as it tends to shoot about any handload well - terrible problem to have. I seat jacketed bullets to where they are 0.020" shy of the rifling and all seem to do OK.

For hunting I favor a 165gr. Partition. Powers used have included 4350, 4064, and Varget (current choice). All have worked fine using the loading manual recommendations.

A real nice cast load is a 170gr. cast bullet, gas checked, seated to contact the rifling, and 12 grains of Blue Dot. For 150 gr. bullets Marshall recommends 15 grains of Blue Dot, although I have not tried that. The 170 gr. bullet hits right where the crosshairs go from 'thick' to 'thin' on the bottom post, range 25 yards. Nice! Scope is a Leupold VX-III 2.5x8.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
mountain man id,
I have the Model 70 Classic sporter in stainless. I got it when they were first announced by Winchester. I was lucky enough to be working at a sporting goods store and got the first one our distributor was able to get hold of. I wanted a 270, but they just weren't available yet so I got the 30-06.
I've been tickled with the choice. It's one of my few "I'll never get rid of it" rifles. Like MikeG mine has literally shot every load well that I have tried in it. Early on I pulled the bullets from Federal 180 gr factory loads, resized the cases, loaded them with IMR4350 and re-seated the factory Hi-Shok bullets. Three shots made one ragged hole. Every load I have tried is capable of less than 1" at 100yds.
Most important to me is that the rifle functions properly 100% of the time. I have not had that experience with any other rifle. At one time or another I've gotten most every rifle I've owned to do something it shouldn't!
It's a little heavier than I really like to tote in the mountains, but I still end up carrying it more than any other rifle. IDShooter

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
I'm not that excited about the 3-position safety or 2-piece bolt but otherwise I think the rifles are very good. As accurate as any other and oft times much prettier. I can think of no bolt action more asthetically pleasing than a Model 70 Featherweight. The Model 70 was my first centerfire and I'm confident yours will give good service.

As for loads, I like 150-grains for deer, 180's for black bear, and would use old fashioned 220's for elk or moose. If you plan to handload, IMR-4831 gave me excellent results in several .30-06's. Winchester 760 is another good choice.

·
36,236 Posts
Bill,

"Two piece bolt"???

Sorry, don't understand that.

I do like the easy take-down on the Win bolt if you have to clean it in the field.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Mike,

As I understand it the handle is a separate piece from the bolt itself, hence "two piece bolt." I believe it was John Barsness several years ago who wrote in one of the Wolfe gunzines that he once saw a Win. 70 lose its bolt handle on a particularly frigid day in Alaska or Montana. I have personal correspondance with Jeff Cooper on how a couple of Savage Scouts did the same at the first rifle course he administered once he returned to Gunsite in an official capacity. After a very good friend had the same thing happen to his Savage 110, I'll stick to Ruger M77's for any bolt-actions I may want down the road. To my knowledge it is the last American-made turnbolt that doesn't either braze or screw the handle to the bolt body. Now I may be wrong but I do believe that is the case.

·
36,236 Posts
Bill, interesting, I knew that the Remington M700 & it's kin had a brazed bolt handle, but did not know that could apply to my Winchester!

All things considered I'm not likely to get it below freezing in Texas so probably little danger! I am going to take a close look at it tonight to see if I can find a parting line.

On interesting aspect of this is that if you look up the shear strength for brass and brazing alloys, the stuff is quite strong. Not as strong as steel of course, but strong enough that the average person isn't going to twist off a bolt handle by hand. I would guess that the examples above are really problems with the assembly/brazing process. Still.... one mistake is too many if your hunt is ruined or your life threatened by dangerous game.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts